Flywheel installation questions

Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Flywheel installation questions

I am prepping an engine for installation into my daughter's '91 240. The engine is from an '89 240 and I pulled the flywheel off in order to replace the rear main seal. I didn't mark the position of the crankshaft when I pulled it off (I expected it to be keyed) and now I am not sure the proper alignment for installing. The Haynes manual is pretty vague about this. It basically says that there might be two rivets that should be at approximately 2 & 4 oclock when the engine is at TDC.

I found on the back of the flywheel there is an arrow that points to one of the bolt holes where the torque converter bolts attach. If I position the rivets as described by the Haynes manual, the arrow points up to where the Crank Position Sensor bolts.

Is this the proper alignment?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically there would be a dowel pin on the crank to locate the flywheel making it difficult to install incorrectly.
Ed

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that the arrow point to the starter. ???

"there is an arrow on the flywheel on the 240's 89-93. I know the Bentley manual is F..ked! I did not mark my flywheel and I followed the Bentley instructions put tranny back in etc. Car was way advanced timing. Anyway, I found out later that you have to point the Arrow at the starter not directly beneath the crank angle sensor etc..if you point the arrow towards the starter your good. Very smart that you marked it. I was so used to doing tranny's/ rear main seals on the pre 89 that I DO NOT NEED TO MARK IT I can do it on my sleep. This one REALLY through me for a loop. Luckily I have friends that own Volvo shops..."

Take it for what it's worth. I have no idea, just read it the other day because I'm planning on doing my clutch soon.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

I found this in a green book. Here it says the arrow should point to the right - not at the starter.

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum - act1292's Album: Flywheel Installation - Picture

Anyone out there can confirm?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by act1292
I found this in a green book. Here it says the arrow should point to the right - not at the starter.

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum - act1292's Album: Flywheel Installation - Picture

Anyone out there can confirm?
Again, I've never done this and hate to give bad info... But couldn't one mark the flywheel before removing it and place it back in the same way?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Yeah - that would be good. Unfortunately we have past that point.

The assumption I made when removing would be that there would be one way it could be assembled. Ed stated the same assumption in his reply.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Well, I did a bit of searching around and this seems to be a real point of contention around the forums. However, one common theme that I have run across is that the missing "holes" read by the crank sensor should be pointing roughly to the starter. The two rivets should be approximately at 2 & 4 o'clock. This all matches what the green book stated. My alignment matches this. The only thing that doesn't match is that the arrow points to the CPS when I aligned it like this - which doesn't match the green book.

I did find this in the 740/940 FAQ on Brickboard

Engine:Mechanical

This description matches what I found.

The engine I am working on is a replacement for my daughters car. When we go to do the swap, I will verify the position on her old engine and post back here.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by act1292
Well, I did a bit of searching around and this seems to be a real point of contention around the forums. However, one common theme that I have run across is that the missing "holes" read by the crank sensor should be pointing roughly to the starter. The two rivets should be approximately at 2 & 4 o'clock. This all matches what the green book stated. My alignment matches this. The only thing that doesn't match is that the arrow points to the CPS when I aligned it like this - which doesn't match the green book.

I did find this in the 740/940 FAQ on Brickboard

Engine:Mechanical

This description matches what I found.

The engine I am working on is a replacement for my daughters car. When we go to do the swap, I will verify the position on her old engine and post back here.
welll...... I'll have to remember that this weekend and mark the flywheel. Lol. Let us know how it all works put back together. Feel free to look over my diy clutch thread and provide any tips!