fuel pressure........ and speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure........ and speed sensor

Hi all,

I've got a '90 wagon that, while it runs great, is inconsistent in starting: sometimes it starts with a touch, sometimes takes 2-3 cranks. My shiny new Bentley manual leads me to think:

- speed sensor;
- fuel pressure regulator (letting residual pressure drop, resulting in dry injectors).

Fuel pressure: it's clear that, in order to work on 240s, you gotta be able to measure fuel pressure. Do I need a special fuel pressure gauge, or will the universal one at the local chain store work? What is the preferred method of relieving pressure on the system before attaching the gauge?

Speed sensor: I've read horror stories of breaking the sensor mounting bracket during removal, necessitating pulling the tranny. Any advice on how to avoid this?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: fuel pressure........ and speed sensor

For the fuel pressure check and see if you have a little nipple almost like a Valve stem on a tire on the metal part of the rail like between #1 and #2 injector. If you do a universal one will work.
If not you need a special setup.

SOAK with PB BLASTER.
I have heard the stories as well. I have never broke one though.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM

So.... I need a special fuel pressure tester, and neither FCP or IPD sells them. IPD suggested a $300.00 Snap-On unit, which I can't do. Anybody know of any other options?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:36 PM

The Volvo fuel line threads (14mm by 1.5mm pitch) are very close to the National Pipe Thread 3/8 by 18 tpi. Go to a good plumbing supply store with a rack of brass NPT fittings and buy:
[ul][*]Male 3/8 NPT with barb fitting on the end[*]Female 3/8 NPT with barb fitting on the end[*]"T" insert[*]Hose to fit and six worm clamps to fit the hose.[*]Male 1/8 NPT with barb fitting on the end [/ul]
Assemble so that the male and female 3/8 fittings go into the fuel line fittings (use teflon tape to fill any thread gaps and don't strip any threads) with the T in between, connected by hose and secured by hose clamps. Add the extender hose to the side of the T, terminating in the male 1/8 into which your fuel pressure tester fits. If you want to be clever, you can use a terminating schraeder valve at the end too.

Only thread this onto the fuel rail by hand, just enough to seal and get a reading on a pressure valve.

But to tell the truth I think you're paying interest on borrowed troubles .

Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: jonesg

But to tell the truth I think you're paying interest on borrowed troubles .
??????????? I don't get your meaning.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 AM

montysano, Jonesg is tellilg you how to make an adaptor to install a pressure check. Write down what he told you to get, go to PLUMBING SUPPLY STORE ( not home depot). The parts will be brass 3/8 female threads on one end, hosebarb on the other for two of them (used to install ice maker). The other will be a brass "T". Disconect fuel line at the rail and screw on female threads hand tight only, dont strip your rail or fuel line, the hose barbs will be facing towards each other. Cut a small piece of hose for each barb and clamp on, on each end of these install "T" and clamp. Cut 3rd hose as long as you need to install pressure gage and see it easily. Hope this sheds some light. This is real easy to do.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 AM

I think when anyone has problems pulling the speed sensor they might have done it wrong, levering it causes the problem, just twist it and it will come straight out.
Levering can't work because its inserted too deep, but the inserted portion is round so it can be twisted to loosen, by hand.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Montysano, I pulled my speed sensor off yesterday, 10mm bolt, twisted back and forth sensor as pulling straight up cam out quit easy.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM

If it won't run on ether then its not getting spark. If you don't have a timing light just use an old plug and backtrack to the coil wire, if it sparks then check inside the dist cap.
If no spark at coil wire check the low voltage side for signal. Clean connectors, try again.
If no dice....I think it gets the signal from the flywheel sensor via the computer.

You have a 90 wagon, what type? is it a 740?
Is the ignition rex regina or ?
Is your coil a cylinder shape or a square type (regina).

Try reading through this,
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...alIgnition.htm

Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: gforce

montysano, Jonesg is tellilg you how to make an adaptor to install a pressure check. Write down what he told you to get, go to PLUMBING SUPPLY STORE ( not home depot). The parts will be brass 3/8 female threads on one end, hosebarb on the other for two of them (used to install ice maker). The other will be a brass "T". Disconect fuel line at the rail and screw on female threads hand tight only, dont strip your rail or fuel line, the hose barbs will be facing towards each other. Cut a small piece of hose for each barb and clamp on, on each end of these install "T" and clamp. Cut 3rd hose as long as you need to install pressure gage and see it easily. Hope this sheds some light. This is real easy to do.

Ummm..... yeah, I got that part. It was the "paying interest on borrowed troubles" part; what does that mean?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 AM

Paying interest on borrowed trouble means looking for problems that don't exist, its an old car.