suspension question

Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and need some advice.
My father owns the 91 940Turbo (105k miles) and the following items need attention.
1. Strut Rod Bushings
2. Sway Bar Links
3. Sway Bar Bushings
4. Ball Joints
All of the above need to be replaced based on the mechanic recomendation.
I was wondering if this is something that I can do it myslef or special tools and what ever else is required? I am mechanically inclined and did similar job on my 97 BMW about a year ago.
I was wondering if there is a write up exist somewhere and/or pictures of this job done on this type of Volvo?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Default RE: suspension question

Yes, you certainly can do them and save a ton of money. Will need 1/2" drive and good open ended wrenches, torque and breaker bar
or best of all -an impact driver. I have done them all myself, without the impact.
1. fairly easy if you avoid doing the rear mounting bushing. (need a press)
2. easy, make sure you get correct style, poly bushings last alot longer than rubber
3. no problems to relate
4. hardest of the lot, be persistant and patient, buy good quality or they wear fast, Volvos tough on ball joints

Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks for replying bli745.
I think I will attack to replace all of the items myself. My concern is Strut Rob Bushings as I have little idea about them. I don't know how they even look and located in Volvo's yet. As far as Rear Mounting Bushings, I have done them myself on my bimmer. Yes, it took me about 3-4 hours to complete for both. I do have home made extractor/press for this job that I used onmy bimmer.
The Ball Joints, the concern is how much I have to reassemble before getting to them. Do I need to remove the front arm completely or it can be done attached? To do the job I will rent the Ball Joint press from Autozone.
I also believe that 4-wheel alignment is required after Ball Joints and Strut Rob Bushings and/or Rear Mounting Bushings replacement. It was on the bimmer.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:59 PM

are you going to do the inner and outer tie rod ends? if so then you would need an alignment. or you can mark the threads on the tie rods to avoid that

Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM

I will double check the tie rods but if any, I will replace the outer ones. The alignment will be in order if tie rods are touched.
I am a bit confused. Is Strut Rod Bushings are the same as Tie Rod Ends? Please help, as I confussed those terminalogies.

Thanks,

Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 PM

I think I have figure it out what the mechanic says as far as Strut Rod Bushing. This is a Control Arm Bushing that sits between the Control Arm and the Strut.
Here is a link to it http://replacement.autopartswarehous...g&dp=false

I hope I am right.
I am also concern on how hard it is to replace them. Has anyone done them? Please comment.

Thanks,

Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Default Suspension question-sway bar install

I have a '93 940. The sway bar connects the control arm and an upperstrut. I've uninstalled the old sway bar and bushings, but don't have enough clearance (even with the car on jackstands) to install the new assembly. How is the anti-sway bar assembly installed? Do I have to take the control rod off or loosen it?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Default RE: Suspension question-sway bar install

Its simple, a GOOD pickle fork is a real treat to use on balljoints, I had a cheapo autozone fork and it just didn't work, I ended up pulling the whole assembly off ( 3 bolts) and whacking them out with a BFH.

I got a Lisle pickle fork for the other side and it really made the job so easy.

Ditto on the tools list above, a ratchet wrench simply will not get the job done,
a breaker bar with a pipeover the end for leverage will show those bolts who's the boss.
I have all the air tools but rarely ever need to use them on the volvo.

I just got a quote on balljoint replacement for my 1 ton ford E350 , $1200 ! Kid you not.

it uses 2 balljoints on each side, upper and lower and they're big, the Lisle pickle fork took em out with 2 sharp crack of the 3 lb hammer. The free rental press easily pressed the new ones in.
Parts cost , $140. Hah!

What the volvo taught me is that I can do all this sort of work myself, the volvo is rediculously simple to work.
BTW, I'm not a mechanic , I'm a chef. If I can do it.....