Fuel Pump blowing fuses

Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump blowing fuses

Let me start by saying I did a search and could not find an answer to this question. I have a 1986 740 wagon non-turbo manuel tranny 4 speed with OD. When I bought it it ran fine. In fact the previous owner drove it over without a clutch. I have just replaced theclutch and now it doesn't start. I have traced the problem to a blown fuel pump fuse. I replaced the fuse and it blew immediatley. I checked the wiring under the car by the pump to see if I hit something, but that looks fine. Coulda badfuel pump relay cause the fuse to blow? I did see something here about bad fusses, I guess I could try a few more. Any ideas?

Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pump blowing fuses

Check that fuse holder is not corroded because that adds resistance. I think your main fuel pump is going and is drawing more current. Before you replace pump try replacing filter if clogged it can cause this problem. If you do have to replace pump you have to replace sock on in tank prepump first. If you don't dirt will quickly ruin your expensive new pump. Sorry you are having problems.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Sooooo, I took the wire from the fuse box (clipped it from the other pink wire/s) and ran power to it and the fuel pump works from there. The other side however, (the other side of the pink wires) still has a grounding problem and still blows fuseseven with the fuel pump wire removed. This wire dissappears somewhere into the dash. I have tried 3 different fuel relays, one was ruined because of this.

If I hot wire the fuel pump the engine still does not start. If I spray starting fluid into the air intake the car starts briefly (until the starting fluid burns up). I loosened the fuel line that mounts to the fuel rail and their was preassurized fuel in there.

I seems the fuel is not getting past the injectors. What sends the power to the injectors and can that be tested without a fancy meter.

Is their a computer/relay/switch (besides thefuel pump one's that have apparently been eliminated as the problem) somewhere that would fail and cause a blown fuel pump fuse and not allowfuel to get injected?

Help, the fuses are piling up,at leastall my tables and chairs no longer wobble.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Anybody.....What sends the power to the injectors?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 AM

the computer sends power to the injectors...but you can buy a very inexpensive tool to check if the injectors are getting voltage you plug it in to you injector connector and it lights up when the computer sends voltage, i cant find it on the website now but i know its in one of the catalogs that IPD sends out. ill have to get back to you