Old 06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge

I could have sworn I posted to this forum before but perhaps not. Anyway
problem is 94 940 (non-turbo) with gas gauge. "Tech" posted before that
it could be sending unit in tank. Well its been working on/off and this AM
while it was working I gave the dash a slight whack. Well it quit working and
at the moment will not work again. So I suspect some sort of wiring or possibly
a gauge issue. How do you get the dash out?

Any recomendations for a service manual to use?

As an aside, I had a problem with a clogged exhaust. So I assumed the CAT.
The 3 bolts and flanges were quite rusty so I needed to cut the bolts as not much was
left. To make a long storey short, the cat was fine, and the muffler(s) was rotted and
clogged. Had to heat the heck out of the bolts on the CAT flange to get them off as
it turns out they are studs. The flanges are quite rotted but currently holding fine.
Is there a source to buy new flanges?

Also I bought a Arvin exhaust. Nothing fit well. The first muffler pipe was 2 1/2" going
into the 2 1/8" cat pipe. checked several times and the numbers were correct for the
application. Reducers solved the problem. Anybody have a clue why the pipe diameters
were so far off?

Cheers, Dave

Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas gauge

You remove the cluster by poking a screwdriver through the small rectangular holes on either side of the metal trim piece, press in and kind of forward at the same time ,and pull the trim to you. There is a strong spring clip behind each hole, and once you do it you will understand.
After that ,just remove the 4 torx screws holding the cluster to the mount and the whole thing comes forward, unless you have the turbo in which case you will have to remove the boost gauge hose from underneath by removing the drivers side upper trim panel and reaching up.
I have always used the OEM Volvo ( or Starla brand ,once) exhaust and have never had a fit problem.
The only manuals available, besides Chilton's which is worthless, are the ones from Volvo and the English Haynes version that I believe IPD still sells.