Got some conflicting info Is the B19E an interference engine or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some conflicting info Is the B19E an interference engine or not?

My timing belt hasnt snapped or anything i just want to know so that i have that info of hey, it is or isint going to go to the junkyard if the belt snaps(not that i'd let it happen)
Thing is i've gotten hugely conflicting information because most posts i've seen dont even mention the B19E, but have said that "oh only these engines are interference all other volvo engines are good" then in one post that does actually mention the B19E it's mentioned that it is. Being a high compression engine.
But then one post i saw on here was that the easiest way to remember was that an easy to remember was that all SOHC are non interference, but i really dont know if that's including the B19E because from my understanding the B19E doesn't even really exist in the US hence why it seems to be missing from some posts i've seen across the interwebs🤔
What's the right answer here? While probably safest to just assume it is an interference engine it'll bug me if i dont know for sure.
If someone has the info to settle it once and for all it'd be much appreciated. 🙂

Last edited by TheDuck; 11-14-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure about the B19, but my B20e was non-interference

Old 11-17-2022, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

What year is your car? As noted, the B19Es are rare so there's not much info on the web that references the engine model. My suggestion would be to assume it is and replace the belt and tensioner and not worry about it for another 7 years or so. It should be a fairly straight forward job assuming you mark the sprockets and find the timing marks (no VVT hubs etc to worry about!). Reminds me of the time I had a 74 Mercury Capri and the engine died on the Grand Central Parkway in NYC (not a good place to have a car die...). I coasted off the road onto a side street. Next day my brother and I checked it out and saw that the distributor wasn't spinning so we checked the timing belt. Bought a belt at a near by parts store, popped in on right there on the street and the car fired right up as if nothing happened. God bless a non-interference engine!

Old 11-17-2022, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
What year is your car? As noted, the B19Es are rare so there's not much info on the web that references the engine model. My suggestion would be to assume it is and replace the belt and tensioner and not worry about it for another 7 years or so. It should be a fairly straight forward job assuming you mark the sprockets and find the timing marks (no VVT hubs etc to worry about!). Reminds me of the time I had a 74 Mercury Capri and the engine died on the Grand Central Parkway in NYC (not a good place to have a car die...). I coasted off the road onto a side street. Next day my brother and I checked it out and saw that the distributor wasn't spinning so we checked the timing belt. Bought a belt at a near by parts store, popped in on right there on the street and the car fired right up as if nothing happened. God bless a non-interference engine!
1982. And yeah i figured it'd be safest to assume it's an interference anyways.