Having trouble replacing transmission mount - help

Old 05-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble replacing transmission mount - help

Have a 90 240 Automatic. Replacing worn transmission mount. Read the post on this forum that was well done. I was thinking it would be a rather easy job.

Trying to finish install of mount -
Have transmission slightly jacked in the middle of tranny as picture shown
New transmission mount on cross member and tightened down to transmission
Now bolting the four screws (2 on each side) of the cross member. driver side screws of cross members are hand tightened with just a little play so I can line up holes on passenger side.

I'm having to push (super hard) the passenger side cross member towards the front of the car and I can't get the screws in. I was thinking this was going to be an easy job but argh!

Little shocked there are not more people having this problem but seems there are always a little quirks trying to repair something new.

Anyway - I don't want to jack the tranny up too much. I think the issue is the transmission mount angles so it seems like it would be best to push at an angle but not sure best method. We tried a rope on the cross member and pull from front of car but that didn't work either. Maybe I'm missing something rather simple.

Ideas? I couldn't locate this project in my Bentley Manual.

I'm hoping its okay to remove the jack and push the car out in the driveway until I get this fixed. Worst case. Could I drive the 240 slowly to a Volvo shop about 1 1/2 miles down the street from me? I don't want to mess anything up.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is interesting. There should be no problems. Interference with something overlooked?

The bolts should not be tight at all. just like 2 turns in the body, then align holes and thread the all the bolts up...

you have the weight of the trans and the engine on mounts (engine mounts) that are slanted towards the rear of the car, so you will have to push the whole assembly forward.

I have only done the manual cars, but the auto is no different.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 AM

Sounds like my luck

I had about 3/4 of the car in my garage with the nose facing towards the garage. The rear of the car was on ramps in my drive way on a small slope. Should all the weight be forward as I jack up the tranny? Wondering if I should turn the car around in the driveway or does it matter. The car ramps always seem to slide on my smooth concrete garage floor so I typically use them on my aggregate driveway.

Last edited by tox_slaughter; 05-19-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, your positioning should be ok (it really doesn't matter, unless it is pulling it all to one side). Leveling the car up might help (front jack stands). the jack is only there to support the trans while you remove the cross member. you shouldn't have to lift anything (you could damage something if lifted too much). the mount is at an angle, but it should still allow you to line up the holes with the cross member.

Under my old 75 setup (yours might look different, it doesn't matter though). it is 6 bolts/nuts and it comes out. reverse order to install.
Name:  DSC_7794.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  61.8 KB

Last edited by TIPSP; 05-19-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by busdude2
Is the car ramped into the back of a Dodge truck ? That's a pretty steep angle. I'm supprised the tailgate cables would support the car. Maybe on level jackstands,loosen the motor mounts and see if that gets you some movement. Please work safe ! Jackstands on concrete is the safest. Ramps almost got my brother killed.
No that was TIPSP example. I talked to Volvo shop who said since it was angled that it was normal to push on the cross member for placement. I don't think its angled for all years.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM

Found a local Volvo shop. Owner came out and installed the mount in about 10 minutes. He did say you need to apply pressure to align the holes and he used a punch in one hole while he lined up the other for the bolt. Done!

So recommend if you doing this repair on the auto transmission slanted mount then prepare for a tough fit on lining up the bolts on the cross member.

Super easy to remove but ...