Head gasket job 94 940/parts recommendations? IPD cam is in there, other maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head gasket job 94 940/parts recommendations? IPD cam is in there, other maintenance?

Title kinda says it all. I'm taking the head of my Bosch '94 940 redblock.
I pulled the plugs yesterday, somewhere I remember an "indicator" being a "greenish tint" to the plugs. How about a GREENISH FLUID??? It's cooked.

I'm hoping I can machine it flat, but are there parts from FCP most likely, they're ten mins away, and or IPD, or normal parts suppliers anyone would recommend?

Any other maintenance I can do beside draining the coolant, and I've heard there's a drain plug for the block by the oil filer on the left of the car, but I can't seem to find it. Pump for the trans coolant line is there...

Also sensors. I know my temp sending unit is fried. Should I do a water temp sensor just to be safe? I'll replace the thermostat, and all gaskets.

Also a "how to" link, and I'll troll the archives here as well as online.
Thanks in advance. Header bolts all came off like a breeze. I'm always amazed at how well PB Blaster works. It's like the "Oxy-Clean" of the automotive world.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 AM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-victor-270689
Thinking this and a thermostat & plugs...

Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 AM

I personally used the Goetze head gasket set. However, I was not too happy with the valve seals, so I'd recommend Victor Reinz seals that I ended up using.

As for some other tips, ensure your head is flat...whether you want to take it to a machine shop or do it yourself. I ended wrapping a piece of laminated MDF in sandpaper to do my own DIY resurfacing.

For tightening head bolts, clean your threads with a chaser, buy an angle gauge, and give your cleaned bolts a light coat of oil. This is the worst step to cheap out on because you definitely don't want to snap a head bolt. Go ahead and reuse your bolts.

Knock on wood, I've made it 10,000 Kms, since my rebuild and it's still running strong.

Originally Posted by drenman
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-victor-270689
Thinking this and a thermostat & plugs...

Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by modifierwong
I personally used the Goetze head gasket set. However, I was not too happy with the valve seals, so I'd recommend Victor Reinz seals that I ended up using.

As for some other tips, ensure your head is flat...whether you want to take it to a machine shop or do it yourself. I ended wrapping a piece of laminated MDF in sandpaper to do my own DIY resurfacing.

For tightening head bolts, clean your threads with a chaser, buy an angle gauge, and give your cleaned bolts a light coat of oil. This is the worst step to cheap out on because you definitely don't want to snap a head bolt. Go ahead and reuse your bolts.

Knock on wood, I've made it 10,000 Kms, since my rebuild and it's still running strong.
I'm replacing the bolts, and block and head will be flat or replaced, if too out of spec/machinable. In this case the "Machine" will be 3m paper on glass on marble block/flat and poilshed beyond any feeler gauge I've got.

I do the same thing to rehabilitate old Stanley/Record Bailey planes for woodworking.