Heater Fan Inop

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Fan Inop

Hi, I'm new to the sight. Hoping someone can assist me in trying to get my heating & ac fan to work. Hot here in SC this time of year>

Anyone know anything about problems along this line or have access to a good schematic? My '93 940 wagon's interior fan fails to function - working fine one minute - dead the next. Fuse (#16)is good, fan is good (12vdc directly to fan input & fan runs fine, switch is good (sane thing, 12vdc to switch input & fan runs fine and is speed controlled by the different positions).

The fuse list by the box also lists fuse #6 as being for the fan but I think this is only used on cars with automatic climate control - there are no connections to this fuse on the back of the fuse block. Fuse is good at any rate.

I thought it must be a relay but Volvo says no relay for the fan exists in this model. Tried tracing the wire (looks to be about 12 ga solid black both at the fuse and at the switch.

The problem is that no voltage reaches the switch though it is present at the fuse. I have run a temporary wire from the output of the fuse to the switch and the fan is now running normally. However, now my ac compressor does not engage.

There is something else going on between the fuse and switch. I've tried to trace the wire - it heads through the big bundle behind the fuse panel and looks like behind the dash. I've had the dash out but can not locate the black wire behind it. took all the below dash stuff out - still no luck though it is difficult to get to everything down there.

I did notice that the ac on/off switch does not seem to be electrical. It looks like instead it controls a vacuum line. I put voltage to my compressor clutch and it operates normally so I know its OK.

Somewhere in there is something where these functions come together and its bad. Oh, for a schematic that actually shows this part of the electrical/vacuum circuit. Not in Haynes or Chilton. A counter person at the auto parts store recommended that I buy a CD from them that gives me access to info on a car of my choosing online at a site called "TotalParts" (I think that was it) Costs almost 30 bucks but you supposedly get access to better manuals and schematics. Has anyone had any experience withg a service like this? I have both Haynes & Chilton manuals & the schematics suck - no real info. Help!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fred666
Hi, I'm new to the sight. Hoping someone can assist me in trying to get my heating & ac fan to work. Hot here in SC this time of year>

Anyone know anything about problems along this line or have access to a good schematic? My '93 940 wagon's interior fan fails to function - working fine one minute - dead the next. Fuse (#16)is good, fan is good (12vdc directly to fan input & fan runs fine, switch is good (sane thing, 12vdc to switch input & fan runs fine and is speed controlled by the different positions).

The fuse list by the box also lists fuse #6 as being for the fan but I think this is only used on cars with automatic climate control - there are no connections to this fuse on the back of the fuse block. Fuse is good at any rate.

I thought it must be a relay but Volvo says no relay for the fan exists in this model. Tried tracing the wire (looks to be about 12 ga solid black both at the fuse and at the switch.

The problem is that no voltage reaches the switch though it is present at the fuse. I have run a temporary wire from the output of the fuse to the switch and the fan is now running normally. However, now my ac compressor does not engage.

There is something else going on between the fuse and switch. I've tried to trace the wire - it heads through the big bundle behind the fuse panel and looks like behind the dash. I've had the dash out but can not locate the black wire behind it. took all the below dash stuff out - still no luck though it is difficult to get to everything down there.

I did notice that the ac on/off switch does not seem to be electrical. It looks like instead it controls a vacuum line. I put voltage to my compressor clutch and it operates normally so I know its OK.

Somewhere in there is something where these functions come together and its bad. Oh, for a schematic that actually shows this part of the electrical/vacuum circuit. Not in Haynes or Chilton. A counter person at the auto parts store recommended that I buy a CD from them that gives me access to info on a car of my choosing online at a site called "TotalParts" (I think that was it) Costs almost 30 bucks but you supposedly get access to better manuals and schematics. Has anyone had any experience withg a service like this? I have both Haynes & Chilton manuals & the schematics suck - no real info. Help!!!

Most likely your fan motor is bad or your switch....get a test light and see if there is power to the fan when the switch is on..if so bad motor..if not bad switch or fuse...also go to your local library they should have All Data there for free use and you can print your schematic...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Default Fan Inop

From my first post - Fuse (#16)is good, fan is good (12vdc directly to fan input & fan runs fine, switch is good (same thing, 12vdc to switch input & fan runs fine and is speed controlled by the different positions).

Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok...try a another switch first..that doesn't work probably a bad resistor or a broken connection...to trace the connection go to your local library and use their ALL DATA online for free...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I did purchase a copy of All Data and was not impressed. Was better off without it and it is only good for 1 year. After that, you can renew for $15. I guess that is better than nothing but Haynes or Chiltons is likely better.

As for your problem, I believe there is a resistor between the switch and motor. It's kind of a big deal and if you search through the 850 stuff, you may find information on it. There is two different types of climate controls in most of the early '90 model cars. What kind of car do you have and what type of climate control. It's alway best to start your thread that way, allows others to help you better.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Default Fan Inop

The problem is not with the switch, the resistor pack or the motor. I'm new here and don't mean to be difficult, but if you read my original post you will see that I have already tested all these things.

I currently have run a temp wire from the output of the fuse to the input of the switch and the fan now works fine. However my ac will not operate. There is some connection point between the fuse block and the switch that brings the AC and fan together. I have so far been unable to locate that point and can find no schmatic that shows this circuit in its entirety in Haynes, Chilton or now AllData. Previous poster was right - AllData is even worse than the other two.