Help me replace my fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me replace my fuel pump?

Hi everyone, first post!

I got an 88 740 Turbo with 85,000 miles on it (believable given condition. It's sweet!) It's crapped out on me while driving a couple of times now. After sitting for 10 or 15 minutes it will start again. After doing some research, I convinced myself it was the fuel pump relay and replaced that. That didn't fix it, of course. Today the fuel pump started making a whining sound while I was driving (I know it was the fuel pump, I pulled over and stuck my head under the car). I predicted that it would crap out again soon, and lo and behold it did!

I'm pretty sure it's the inline and not the in-tank that's the original source of the problem. I say this because most of the stuff I'm seeing says that problems with the inline appear below half a tank, but I ran it down to almost empty yesterday without issue and today it crapped out at 3/4 tank.

I've done a bit of research about the replacement procedure and I know I can handle it. But I have a few questions before I start:

1. Am I totally wrong? Could it still be the in-tank? Or something else entirely?
2. Where's the best place to get a pump, and should I worry about getting an inexpensive one?
3. I see that it takes two crush washers--what size and where can I get them? And are there any other expendable parts I need to get before I start? Is the fuel line going to crack and crumble, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome. I would just verify if the in tank pump is working just to make sure. The whining of the main pump may be caused by it being over worked because the in tank pump is bad. The half tank issue is usually caused by the rubber hose in the tank that breaks and it is about 1/2 way down in the tank. Now the main pump you can buy from anyone of the on-line Volvo parts places and you may want to buy a pump , filter , small tube and the washers.