Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi there, new here

Hi there

I'm new here, I currently own two volvos

1987 240 GL Sedan, 350,000k's

1993 240 Estate, 348,000k's

Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Did you know that the wagon's steering wheel is on wrong side?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome

I've only had my wagon a few days, few a few gremlins with it, nothing too serious I hope

- Turning the indicators to the LEFT, they don't self cancel, RIGHT works fine.

- Transmission is leaking fluid, my other Volvo does that as well, So I guess no big issue for now, just keep an eye on the fluid and top it op.

- Brake lights seem to interrmittanly not work on the passenger side, other 2 lights work fine, sometimes when putting my foot on the brake pedal the orange light comes on the dash saying a globe is out, other times it works fine. Something that will need attending to.

- Bonnet is very hard to pull open, I guess its the cable that needs replacing.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM

"- Turning the indicators to the LEFT, they don't self cancel, RIGHT works fine."

Funny, mine does the exact same thing. If you figure a fix, let me know. I just live with it. It's a pretty minor annoyance.

Bonnet is the hood right? (boot the the trunk?) (thank you, top gear. Weren't for that I'd be completely lost.)

My hood/bonnet is hard to open if i slam it instead of pushing it gently down. What'll happen is when I pull the release under the dash (I hope that's a universal term, haha) it wont seem to release unless I pull up on it. The solution there is to not slam with too much fury.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_Pirate
"- Turning the indicators to the LEFT, they don't self cancel, RIGHT works fine."

Funny, mine does the exact same thing. If you figure a fix, let me know. I just live with it. It's a pretty minor annoyance.

I've had this on other cars in the past, the only solution I know of is to buy a new indicator stalk, yes it is only a minor thing, as long as they work, that's the main thing really.

Originally Posted by Cherry_Pirate
"Bonnet is the hood right? (boot the the trunk?) (thank you, top gear. Weren't for that I'd be completely lost.)

My hood/bonnet is hard to open if i slam it instead of pushing it gently down. What'll happen is when I pull the release under the dash (I hope that's a universal term, haha) it wont seem to release unless I pull up on it. The solution there is to not slam with too much fury.

Yep Bonnet, hood, deck-lid, all the same thing

I've tried just shutting it gently, but it still refuses to lock down, only way I can get it to shut is to really slamp it, (I know, not very good(

You will have to forgive my Australianess, we sometimes use different words, drive on the other side of the road....steering wheel on the right...etc

Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 245 brake lights

Those are a fine looking pair of 240's you have there- even if the steering wheels are on the wrong side. The brake light problem is common on these cars. Check each bulb's connection in its holder, and the holder's contact with the contact plate around the holes in the mounting bracket. Clean these up really well. These taillamp assemblies leak after years of weather and sun on the rubber seals resulting in corrosion at the contact points. Be careful with the bulb holders; over the years they become brittle and break easily. Replacements are not cheap any more. Put some silicone sealant around the housing if it looks like there may be a leak.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peter.Howard

I've tried just shutting it gently, but it still refuses to lock down, only way I can get it to shut is to really slamp it, (I know, not very good(

You will have to forgive my Australianess, we sometimes use different words, drive on the other side of the road....steering wheel on the right...etc

No forgiveness needed. I'm not elitist. I'm just canadian, different words is all, make sure the translation was there. I suppose the best shot is to maybe spray some wd-40 on the mechanism see if it helps. But it might be a consistent trouble regardless. I really don't know, never had to fix a hood..er... bonnet latch on a car.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the hood, make sure you lubricate the hinges on a regular basis. Not doing so will lead them to break. Don't ask how I know!!