Idle valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle valve

Hi there, I've got a 1990 240dl that just had the fuel pump seize and the idle control valve die around the same time. A little knock on the side of the fuel pump got the car running again but I'm faced with some costly work and am trying to find out which would be the most pertinent item to fix since I can really only afford one of thm right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pump will stop the car dead, idle valve will just make the car idle like crap.
Fuel pumps are around $50-100 new for aftermarket, not that expensive, labour is about 1 hr for underfloor one, about 1.5/ 2.0hr for in tank.
Idle valve can more often than not be cleaned with a thorough application of throttle body cleaner. It's a DIY job for just about anyone who can fog a mirror.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks Andrew,
I was quoted quite a bit more than that for the fuel pump, but I am stuck in the middle of Ontario with only 1 volvo mechanic..
The idle has been crap for about 5 weeks now and I'll try giving it a clean but it was my understanding that the motor in/on it was dead. The guy said he tried a used one he had in the lot but it wasn't working either. Anything I can do myself is always worth the first try though so thanks again
Cheers,
Celise

Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Is there any way you could help me locate the IAC valve. My manual isn't helping, and I've been googling its location for the last few hours and am not getting anywhere..
Cheers,
Celise

Old 03-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Since you say a knock on the fuel pump got it running, I will assume it's the underfloor pump. If so, ANY mechanic can change that out easily. Volvo's aren't complex cars, nor are they radically different to anything else, a good mechanic can fix them.
If teh IAC motor is gone, you may have no hopes, but the IAC valve is here:

Undo the hose clamps both ends and give it a good squirt with throttle body cleaner. Also do the hoses to and from it.
Let the cleaner sit in there for 5 minutes and then give the car a good 10 minutes to idle. It'll likely start and run like crap at first as the cleaner enriches the mixture. But you want to idle it so airflow cleans and dries out the cleaner.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Andrew,

What is that Redline (looks like a mini-air cleaner) doing in the crankcase? Does that help with positive crankcase ventilation?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by fredbyte
Andrew,

What is that Redline (looks like a mini-air cleaner) doing in the crankcase? Does that help with positive crankcase ventilation?
Yes it does. I actually have it on a long hose now, it sits up between the intake manifold runners. It neded the long hose to allow oil vapour to condense out on the wall of the hose, it was trapping oil mist and leaking some oil down when it was mounted directly on the welch plug like in the photo.
My existing PCV system is there and complete, the Redline breather merely takes over under heavy boost, it reduced the oil leakage on my engine considerably. It didn't stop the crankcase pressure issues completely, that was solved with freeing up the rings/deglazing the bores with kersosene.
It's a much simpler, elegant solution than a catch can, which needs maintenence.
The filter also allows the engine to draw fresh air in, it's not a sealed system.

Regards, Andrew.