Looking to buy a '90-'93 240 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy a '90-'93 240 Sedan

Hey guys, I've decided that I want my first car to be a Volvo 240 sedan. They're such beautiful looking vehicles. I'm going to need some help getting one, though. The reason for buying a '90+ is because of the driver side airbag (it's more my mom's choice than mine). I'd like to get a manual (5-speed) transmission. I don't know how to drive one and I don't know why I want one, but that would be my preference.

So anyways, I've been lurking on craigslist for the past year or so getting a feel for prices, but now I'm actually ready to buy. There's one add that I'm paying very close attention to. It's for a '90 Volvo 240 sedan 5-speed with ONLY 77,033 MILES! I would expect the price for this baby to run for at least five grand, but no, the price is only $2400. Thinking it over for a couple of minutes, I just realized that there's probably a 90% chance that the odometer is broken, and he was simply taking a picture of it to show us that it was. It seemed a little fishy since he only included a picture of the odometer and said nothing about it in the description. If someone were to sell a 240 with less than 100k, I would imagine that they would make they the top selling point. Although, I do realize that mileage isn't everything....
Would it make sense that the odometer broke (assuming it did) around 77k? Do a lot of them break around then?

Here's what he said in the description:

"Great running and driving almost new tires. Great upgraded Stereo Perfect car for a kids first car or going to school car 5 speed manual makes it very good on gas."

Here's how the email conversation went:

Me:
"Hi,
I saw your ad for the '90 Volvo 240 on craigslist and I have some questions. Does it have a clean title? Also, has it been in any accidents? I also wanted to know if it needs any mechanical work.
Thanks!" <----I should have asked about the odometer, but I hadn't realized it might be broken...

His response:
"Clean title no problems just drive it."

It's not the most descriptive response, and I didn't get a great vibe while reading it. He also didn't include if it had been in any accidents...although maybe he just assumed that I would know there wasn't any accidents when he said "clean title" ...my mom had four accidents in her '04 before she sold it...most were minor, and none of them were her fault, but with one of them a moving truck backed into the car and the bumper had to be replaced. The carfax showed up clean as a whistle.

Then I basically just responded saying I wouldn't be able to look at it for about 4 days because I was on vacation. He didn't respond back. It seems like he really wanted to sell the car for some reason. I mean he said "...just drive it" and didn't respond when I said I couldn't look at it immediately.

Moving on...
So if I want to buy a '90-'93 Volvo 240 (any trim) 5-speed sedan with around 125k miles on it (125k is my "comfort zone", but I suppose I could do 150k since almost none of them are below 140K), what should I look out for?

I've heard to drive it with a cold engine to reveal any problems, but what should I check for? Small words would be appreciated, because I know next to nothing about engine mechanics. I know how an engine works, and most of the components and everything...but I have no idea how to work on an engine/transmission, etc.
I'm a pretty quick learner when it comes to mechanics though, I mean I can take a bike (as in the one you pedal, not a motorcycle) apart and put it back together, and I know how to swap parts on a computer, but car mechanics is unfamiliar territory.

What are warning signs I should look for? Any specific parts in the engine? Any sounds/smells? I know nothing about buying a used car from a private seller. Anything that might break/need replacing around 125-150k miles?

Thanks!

TL;DR: I'm trying to buy a '90+ Volvo 240 5-speed from a private seller. What are some things I should look for throughout the car when going to buy it to make sure it's in proper working order? And is a '90 240 5-speed w/ 77k for $2400 make sense or is the ODO just broken?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your're ready to take on the challenge huh? Well, climb aboard, and don't say we didn't warn you.

Lets see, you want a Volvo 240 with an air bag right? Mom's choice? Bad choice. Your're dealing with an air bag that is (or will be) twenty years old, not good. Unless the system has been serviced at the recommend interval around 2000, have fun taking that to a certified technician to repair. My thinking is, if you are a respectful driver, defensive, and cautious, the frame of a 240 should keep a kid your age plenty safe, as long as you wear your seat belt.

As for the odometer, that can break at anytime. The life span is dependent on how many times the driver presses the trip reset button. Could happen as low as 30,000 if he is button happy, or as far out as 200,000. On that picture, do the trip digits read all zeros? Bad sign....

Check this out Buying a Used 7xx/9xx
The suggestions that apply to the 740, also apply to a 240 series.

Major things to check: Cabin fan- best checked when cold. It will make loud screeching and constant tapping patterns. Mine does this, but as it warms up with heat, goes a way a little. If in the heat already, try hitting the A/C button with the car off, key in ready to crank position, and listen for a click and the fan to turn on a low setting. If the fan does nothing, it is probably getting old and sticky and will become annoying in the winter.
In addition to the A/C does it work?

In-tank pump- Usually still works, but the hose inside the tank connecting the pump and the sender is crap. Is the tank past half way when you are looking at the car, that can mask this problem. Might want to ask the seller if he could show it to you below half-way. Another way to check is to run the car, get under it near the fuel pump (left side before rear tire) and check the pressure from the line between the tank and outside pump.

Flame trap- Ask the seller what the flame trap is, if he don't know, walk away... Now he may not do any work on the car, but hopefully the shop he took it to does. You'll want to check that http://cleanflametrap.com/tony/B230F_features_v1.pdf
should look like this https://volvoforums.com/forum/attach...1&d=1314206335
Should not have blocked up holes with grimy carbon, this can cause negative crank case ventilation and blow seals.
In addition to this, check for blow-by by running the engine and raising the oil dipstick. No smoke or oil should spew out. You can also unscrew the oil fill cap, and it should be sucked down and not bounce all around.

Differential- for leaks and metal bits in the oil. Make sure it even has oil actually.

Minor things: Do all the power options work? Seat heaters (hear it is an absolutism pain to replace), rear defroster, mirror heaters, cruise control?
Do they have intact door pockets that are original?
Is all the pressure in the tires equal? sign of a meticulous care taker.
Is the air filter clean? Often forgotten...
Is there a heater hose attached to the air box? This is a silver, metal hose attached to the heat trapper on the exhaust manifold and goes to the bottom of the air box (look from under the car). If there is, the mechanism inside the air box is most likely shot and is sending hot air to the intake and through the Air Mass Meter at all times, not good. A toasted Air Mass Meter is easy to change, but expensive to replace (or repair I think).
Um...
How much rust is on the car, underside? Does it have plastic floor mat trays? If not, I see way too many people repairing giant holes in the driver's floor where their heel sits...

Most of the above listed is 240 specific, but don't forget to check things everyone should when buying a car in general, all fluids, compression check, brake pads, tires... you know. Check buyers guides for those details, don't be like me who blindly bought my first 240 as well.

This should get you started, as I'm probably forgetting some things, and have not gone into detail with some topics, (I could write all day...)

Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a '90-'93 240 Sedan-img_0513.jpg  

Last edited by Burn Stains; 02-21-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM

To add to the tire pressure comment: there are a few more signs of meticulous care: all fluids filled to proper range (check color too). Deliberately check for any visible exhaust smoke on cold start, out of spec valve guides can cause blue smoke which sometimes goes away when the car is warmed up. If the car is warm when you arrive be suspicious. Also, I know my 240 acts differently starting cold vs warm; you want verification all is well.

Also take note of any lights on the dash. I had a light bulb warning light which turned out to be a loose connector for the whole left brake/signal light assembly. You might want to take the car to a trustworthy mechanic for an inspection, but it isn't crucial if you know a fair amount in this area. I would at least pull codes because not all codes cause a check engine light. 90-93 models all (might be 91-93 don't remember) had a built in code reader (sort of) under the hood by the brake booster. This is probably something that an attentive Volvo owner should know about.

Also you should check to see if it has ABS or not. I thought all Volvos were by that point and then found my 91 is not ABS equipped- I don't know if this is an issue for you considering the airbag priority, but IMO the non ABS brakes are pretty sufficient, YMMV. And on the attentive owner note: if they don't know about the flame trap and maybe the code reader, it may still have been taken care of by a shop- ask for any documented service records, receipts, etc. Some of this stuff may be obvious to you already, but I have checked out a lot of cars and then later thought "Oh, I should have checked ____".

I hope you find a good one, they really are good, well built, and easy to work on vehicles. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM

gotta warn ya I been on the same trip and it aint easy,but can be gratifying,good luck.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only comment is on the manual transmission. I drove a Honda with a 5 speed manual. It wore holes in the left knee of all the pants I wore while driving it due to constant use of the clutch. The 5th speed is really an overdrive, meant for use at high speeds only. I learned to drive on manual transmission cars and drove them for years, would not have one for daily driving any more. I have a 1992 Volvo 240 and love it.