Looking to tuneup my 1981 244 DL

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to tuneup my 1981 244 DL

Just bought this car and I want to learn all abou tit, and tune it up if possible to be sure everything is tight, where it's supposed to be, clean etc.

I state right off the bat.. I know -very- little about cars.
I am fairly technologically minded and enjoy mechanics etc, however.

The car is currently running well and no real problem, the owner did tell me that the carburetor needs an adjustment.

If possible, I'd liek to make the adjustment myself.

Just as an example (maybe a laughable one but still!) for all the bicycles I've owned before, I always tuned them up everytime I acquired them, and turned poor to mediocre bicycles; to quite decent or good ones. My tuneups (or my preferred term 'tweaking')on the bicycles made them perform much better and more comfortable for me as well as prolonging their life.

This is exactly what I want to start out by doing with my new car.

I did search these 240 forums manually, and didn't see any threads for tuneups, tweaking the cars.
If there are some resources for this, any links for me would be great, and I'll continue to search for them myself as well.

hmm, that's all I can think of to say for the moment, but I'll come back to edit this or respond with any updates.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone who reads this and or replies.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 AM

Welcome, and you've come to the right place, the institutional knowledge here is amazing. There is NOTHING they can't figure out.
However when I went from bikes to cars 40+ years ago I got a book (remember them? Like a long text message printed on paper?)
I would suggest start off by getting the shop manual for your car and do the all basic preventive maintenance things it recommends. There is a post at the top of this page for retailers that sell them.
Happy wrenching.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM

The car actually has the two original manual's in the glovebox, and I do plan to read those.

Thanks for the reply

Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Shop manuals are generally large 81/2 x 11 inch 400+ page books, a tight fit for a 240 glove box. It sounds like you are looking at the owners manual, also a good resource, but they don't go into the detail you need for DIY projects like tuneups or a brake job.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Default oh ok

OK thanks!

I just drove the car home finally, got the paperwork and everything done.

Everything was fine except... after about 5 minutes or so driving, 3 times the car like.. gave out power.. like no drive, but the engine didn't stall.

I think while i was accelerating and it tried to get into the next gear and just cut out. THe engine never stalled, but the drive was lost 3 times. I pulled over each time... just sat a second, didn't change gears or anything, just let the engine rev down to idle, then was able to drive and go again. After the 3 times in quick succession, it didn't happen again for the next 30 minutes of the drive home.
I fear this is something kinda big.
Any insight?