Lost key...New one does not work...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost key...New one does not work...

So I lost my only key (I know, stupid!)...So I went to the dealership and got the new key cut out based on my VIN. I figured I had the original locks and ignition cylinder since my last key opened all the locks on the car so I thought there is no way someone replaced all the locks in the past...But someone maybe did or maybe dealership did it wrong. I dont see my vin on the receipt anywhere...

So now, where can I see my key code other than pulling it by the vin to check against the new key?
Also, can I buy all the new locks for my car that matches the vin and put them on my car, or are they NLA?
I guess I can also get all the locks from the junk yard but if I can get the original ones for my car I would...

Thx!

Old 11-09-2018, 12:52 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the junk yard likely won't have the keys, and without the keys, you can't take the locks apart.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

It's quite possible that you got the wrong key from Volvo, someone made an error! Not likely that all the locks were changed. BTW, what yr, model, is it?

Old 11-09-2018, 02:11 PM

My car is 1988, 240DL MT

That's what I though, no way someone really changed all the locks. It would be so much cheaper to just get a new key from the dealership, unless that option was not available at some point.
I plan on going and double checking with them. They were suspicious to me as soon as they didn't ask me for any ownership proof and just gave me the key ...

Old 11-09-2018, 06:22 PM
lev

They do make mistakes. I am asking model and year because i replace the 960, 940SE keys with regular 940 sets but 240, why would anyone change them all? A locksmith can make you a key as a last resort but why pay extra, Volvo should be able to get you the right key...

Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM

So I went to dealership and they can give me a refund or reorder it. If the re order it they cant give me a refund after that.
I called few locksmit places and they quoted me as high as $225 and the lowest one was $125.

They also could not check the vin number or key code used for the key they gave me so we couldn't confirm if the right vin number was used the first time.

I am not sure what to do. Dealership also gave me my key code...Pay $125 or try to reorder it and lose $55 that I already paid to dealership...

Last edited by Alex89; 11-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

wow you seem to be in a pickle. if it were me i would do this... since the 1st dealer sold you a key that didn't work, get a refund. then go to another dealer and try again from scratch comparing the key code you have with what dealer #2 comes up with. the problem may be that the locks are worn and while the pattern may be correct it won't work due the worn tumblers.

Last edited by silvermine; 11-12-2018 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
admasters (03-04-2023)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by silvermine
wow you seem to be in a pickle. if it were me i would do this... since the 1st dealer sold you a key that didn't work, get a refund. then go to another dealer and try again from scratch comparing the key code you have with what dealer #2 comes up with.
I would but there is only 1 dealer in my City ...Next closest one is 90mi away...

Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM

oh i see,,, hmm.. back to the drawing board...locksmith may be the best solution then..good luck
('scuse me while i go have one of my keys copied..).

Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM

How do I remove the lock...I heard I can take the cylinder to a locksmith and they can make a key for me real cheap...

I got to this part...It doesnt look like its attached to anything...But I am not sure what to do so I dont break anything...

Old 11-12-2018, 05:13 PM

Ok I got it...I just pulled the clip around the lock to the right with some needle nose pliers and tumbler was easily pushed out...

Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 PM

With the tumbler out I was able to get a quote of $35 for 2 keys. I just have one question if anyone knows...One place told me that door lock and ignition lock are not the same, ignition lock has 1 more (10th) wafer which is the same as the 9th wafer...Is that true? Because if it is, can it be possible for someone to make me a key that will fit the door but not the ignition not knowing about that "trick"?

Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 AM
lev

Never heard of that... doubtful... The master key should open all doors, trunk, ignition, etc. The Valet is different.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 AM
no mo volvo

the only difference between the valet and regular key is the BLANK, not the key cut. the Valet key is missing a longitudinal groove on the side of the key so it can't fit into the trunk and glove box locks that have a land there. also the rear floor deck lock on a wagon.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 PM

So they cut me 2 keys and they work great! I guess that was a myth or maybe its understood that 10th and 9th wafer are the same...
All in all problem solved for much better price that what I was quoted. Taking the dealership key back tomorrow for a refund. Locksmith told me and showed me how dealership key was cut too shallow, meaning the cuts are not too deep. He said it was like 35000th shorter or something, which is "too much in a locksmith world"

Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 PM
no mo volvo

undoubtably he meant 35/1000ths, which is 0.035"

thats actually a faiir bit in a key. the dealer should pass this info onto whomever cut their keys, there's a badly calibrated machine, or someone needs more training.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:08 AM

glad you got it solved. for whatever it's worth i took my original volvo key which was working well in all the locks to home depot to get a spare.
they cut me a copy which did not work! took the same key to lowes and the blank they cut works fine! so, i guess the moral of the story is that
the machines can be different .. contributing to very different results!

Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvermine
glad you got it solved. for whatever it's worth i took my original volvo key which was working well in all the locks to home depot to get a spare.
they cut me a copy which did not work! took the same key to lowes and the blank they cut works fine! so, i guess the moral of the story is that
the machines can be different .. contributing to very different results!
There is a family operated hardware store here in Columbus that's been around for about 60-70 years. Its the only place I go to get keys made... and knowing my wife its the first thing I do after getting a new to me Volvo.I usually get 3 made and they'll have me test the first one to make sure it works. I tried some other places nearer to me but ended up back at Beechwold Hardware to get it done right.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:28 PM
no mo volvo

fyi, the hardware / home improvement stores will only cut brass blanks. the original volvo keys are steel. the brass keys bend way too easily if there's a thin area between two deep cuts... I insist on getting real original blank keys, and there's only one good locksmith here who will cut them properly, they need a special cutter. same thing with my older Mercedes, in fact they use the same brand blanks, Neimann of Germany.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Yea it looks like you got to be careful who do you let cut the most basic car key nowadays ....
Dealership was kind of mad and tried to tell me they don't give refunds on keys haha...When I told them they cut it wrong, with the proof, he told me I should have came back an re ordered it because they cut it correct 2nd time 99% of the time, even though if they didn't do it right 2nd time I couldn't get my refund...It was interesting but I told them to make a note or contact someone so no one else who tries to do it the right way and pay much more than going to a locksmith has to go through this ....

Quick Reply: Lost key...New one does not work...