Lowered 1990 240 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered 1990 240 problems

So me and my dad slapped some B&G 1.6(more like2) ince drop springs on my 240. On the rear, the passenger side does not sit nearly as low as the driver side. It looks like it's at stock height and there is a noticeable lean to the car. Does anyone know why this would happen? We check everthever and didn't see an issue mechanically with the install we did. Are we missing something????

Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

probably need an adjustable panhard rod, as the rear end geometry makes the tail of the car move slightly left or right as it goes up and down, and this could make one side squat lower than the other.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM

How so? We though of that but we didnt think lowering it 2'' would require one. Also, I don't understand how it would lift up one side of the car. I understand pushing the car out of alignment but how does that affect the suspension? We are going to order one come payday and throw it on in hopes that it's the issue. I was just hoping it was a cheaper fix so I dont have to spend $100 more dollars XD

Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

here's the rear end of a 740 wagon, a 240 is very similar. in this picture, the suspension is fully extended downwards as the chassis has been lifted by the body.

240's have different trailing arm bushings, different thrust arms (740/940 has a pair top and bottom, while 240 has them left and right)

the panhard rod is that diagonal strut you see from the right side of the differential to the left side of the chassis. as the differential goes up, the radius of that rod is going to push the differential over to the right. when you lower the car, you're effectively raising the differential higher up than its normal resting position, so it will move even farther to the right. its possible this puts enough of a 'twist' on the trailing arms and springs to cause things to be uneven, I dunno.

the other possibility is mismatched springs, or spring pads... you did replace the spring pads, right? or a antisway bar thats binding or bent ?

Old 09-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
here's the rear end of a 740 wagon, a 240 is very similar. in this picture, the suspension is fully extended downwards as the chassis has been lifted by the body.

240's have different trailing arm bushings, different thrust arms (740/940 has a pair top and bottom, while 240 has them left and right)

the panhard rod is that diagonal strut you see from the right side of the differential to the left side of the chassis. as the differential goes up, the radius of that rod is going to push the differential over to the right. when you lower the car, you're effectively raising the differential higher up than its normal resting position, so it will move even farther to the right. its possible this puts enough of a 'twist' on the trailing arms and springs to cause things to be uneven, I dunno.

the other possibility is mismatched springs, or spring pads... you did replace the spring pads, right? or a antisway bar thats binding or bent ?
We did not replace the spring pads and I have no clue about the sway bar. I guess it could be the panhard rod i saw some people telling another guy to replace it if loweing their car but they were talking about lowering it much MUCH more than 2''. We are gonna put an adjustable one on this Saturday or some time next week and see if it fixes the issue. If not, Idk, swap the springs and see if it has the same issue on the other side.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaketheepicc
So me and my dad slapped some B&G 1.6(more like2) ince drop springs on my 240. On the rear, the passenger side does not sit nearly as low as the driver side. It looks like it's at stock height and there is a noticeable lean to the car. Does anyone know why this would happen? We check everthever and didn't see an issue mechanically with the install we did. Are we missing something????
Did you preload the control arm bushings?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some say shocks won't affect ride height and some say they do. My experience has been gas shocks definitely make the car sit higher than oil shocks. That being the case, you may have a blown out shock on one side? Swap em and see if there's a difference.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe
Some say shocks won't affect ride height and some say they do. My experience has been gas shocks definitely make the car sit higher than oil shocks. That being the case, you may have a blown out shock on one side? Swap em and see if there's a difference.
Definitely not the shocks, they're brand new, less than 1000 miles on them.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by John Arsenault
Did you preload the control arm bushings?
Never changed them, and that wouldn't affect ride height. We swapped springs and there's still a noticeable difference (around 3/4 inch difference). Drove it up the street and back down and it didn't change. We're gonna get new wheels and then see aboia getting a new panhard rod. Hopefully that's the issue.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Never changed them, and that wouldn't affect ride height. We swapped springs and there's still a noticeable difference (around 3/4 inch difference). Drove it up the street and back down and it didn't change. We're gonna get new wheels and then see aboia getting a new panhard rod. Hopefully that's the issue.
Now that I think of it, my 940 wagon sat 1/2 inch lower on the drivers side and searching turbobricks.com I found a couple of threads that the driver's side on rwd cars we're lower when they came from the factory for various reasons: battery location, gas tank orientation, engine tilt, etc. My solution was to put a universal spacer under the rear, left coil and that propped it back up.
Amazon Amazon