Is my headgasket blown?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is my headgasket blown?

I decided to give my '91 240 some love and care today. Changed out the engine oil and changed rear brake pads and tightened the parking brake cable so it actually works now.

Anyways, in November last year my wife drove the car back from work and said she saw the temp gauge going past half mark. By the time she could get off to the side safely (about 0.5 miles or so) it had gone to 3/4th. She opened up the hood and let it cool down. Then drove back home (which only a mile away). The car did not overheat.

2 day after when I was driving it to work, in less than a minute my temp gauge was shooting towards red. Being in the middle of a very busy intersection, I immediately swerved to the shoulder and shut it off. By this point it was close to the red mark.

I opened the hood and saw that there was smoke coming from the t-stat housing. Got it towed back home. Changed the t-stat with seal and new hoses and new coolant (just drain & fill). After this, I took it on two trips both about 4 hours long. Temp gauge was right around half way mark - but on 3 different occasions it would rise by the tiniest smidgen over half for a couple of minutes and then go back down.

Then with winter didnt drive it much at all. Love my Volvo and would hate it to get more rust that it already has. Was nice and sunny today - drove it. Parked at home, took apart engine oil filler cap. There was a tiny amount of milky colored liquid that around one half of that plus sign(the one on the underside of the cap). Checked coolant reservoir & cannot see any oil. Dipstick oil smells like oil I guess. Couldnt see anything floating in the oil in the engine itself.

Did I blow my HG?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so , its normal to see a small amount if the car is used mainly for short drives. It takes longer for the oil to heat up then the coolant temp. Most of the times if only driven on short trips the oil never fully heats up.

When you see your temp go past the red and back down thats normal to the T stat and temp gauge are not exact with each other the t-stat has to get to a certain temp to open , but by then the block is a bit warmer so it goes a bit above the normal , but when the t-stat opens it will drop.

You may want to check your seal on your dip stick tube, you can suck in air though there and air contains water , the condensation will then appear at the top of your filler cap. Small amounts normal...sludge in quantity is bad. If your not losing coolant thats a good sign that the moisture is coming from some where else.

What kind of oil do you use?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM

I have always used semi-synthetic 5w30 October to March. Rest of the year again semi-synthetic but 10w30. I love this car too much and plan to take it to the grave with me (and I am in college )

Yes my 1 way commute is about 3 miles barely so it is not driven much. However, I let the car warm up about 5-7 minutes before driving just so that it can get warmed up.

Its not sludgy - just like a tiny bit of milkish liquid around the plus sign. Havent lost any coolant and no blue smoke or sweet smell from the exhaust.

I will check the seal tomorrow and post back here. Hoping you are right John!

On a sidenote - you live in a very beautiful state. I usually make a yearly trip to Maine (Cadillac mountains and bar harbor) every summer.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM

Awesome, put some photos up if you got some I would love to see it. I am almost done restoring mine, well not really. After the restore some unique customizing will begin.

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum - John Arsenault's Album: My 240 Project

Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

3 mile trips, even with a 5 minute warmup, will never get your engine up to full operating temperature. at least once a week take the car out for a 20-30 minute drive somewhere to cook out all the condensation.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:30 PM

So i took it for a 45 mins drive. The milkiness is gone. Looks like I was not allowing the car to heat enough - as you guys said.

I looked at the oil dipstick as John suggested. The o-ring has become hard like a plastic and is not sealing properly. Can I get just the o-ring or do I have to change the whole dipstick?

Also, John, I have done no body restoration on my car (dont have a garage so do all my work in the parking space ). Its got rust at spots on it. Will get some picture when the sun comes out.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM

I was so happy Pierce chimed in on this I consider him a real expert. One day I am sure he is going to correct me if I slip up so I am ready for it ...lol

Yes but its is going to set you back a bit
947114 Aftermarket - Oil Dipstick O-Ring - Elring 0102326 - Free Shipping I love eeuro I just about built my car though them and IPD

Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM
no mo volvo

bring the dipstick into any local autoparts store, and they can probably match the o-ring.

or just ignore it, it doesn't need to seal that securely, its mostly just to keep dust and stuff out.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Awesome! Thanks! Would like to see your Volvo once its all ready. Are you planning on getting the turbo rims (Virgo I believe) on it? Maybe get a touring car look

Sounds good Pierce. Will be driving the car more often now that we are not expecting much snow and salt.

Last edited by 240-FAN; 03-27-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Nope I am going with more modern 16" Volvo rims and offset adapters. Will also be doing the Mazda brakes with the conversion kit that yoshi fab has. Black diamond plate panels for the interior.Dimming led, flat screen, Already sealed the oem antenna hole so I will put a more modern one in that you won't see. I can go on and on about the build as this build was well planned before I even got the car. It will end up costing me way more then the car is worth but my wife told me I should go for it anyway. I just like you plan to take this car to my grave as well...but I am older then you so my expectations are probably a little more realistic...lol

Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
no mo volvo

IMHO, modern FWD wheels just look wrong on a 240

Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM

haha. I have heard that these cars can last 500k miles without any major issues. And its at 260K miles. so about half way there

When I get the money - for me its going to be between the Virgo or the ones in this link. I somehow never liked the stock plastic caps that I have on my '91

1985 Volvo 240 For Sale

Do you guys know what these rims are called?

I will be interested in seeing your project end result. Oh - and since you are spending so much time and energy on it - maybe get the European headlamps - possibly with the wipers on them?

Last edited by 240-FAN; 03-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Oh my friends you must see this! Imaging with me. These Volvo Tellus wheels along with a nice black diamond plate to match the concept on the whole car as like I said the theme will be black diamond.

Now ready here is the good part

Thats the last part of my concept of the black diamond I already have the tellus rims and love how big paddles will look printed.

I am an artist by trade so I think I may have you beat here Pierce ...lol Trust me when I say if health and business stay good for me this may be the sweetest Billet , bullet proof wagon you have ever seen and would sell your first born child to have one like it. I driven this car back in mechanic school (early 90's) when it was only a few years old and has always been something I wanted to do with this wagon.

Now that my kids are all grown up momma says I can have my wagon!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 240-FAN

Oh - and since you are spending so much time and energy on it - maybe get the European headlamps - possibly with the wipers on them?

YES!!! Not much will stay stock after I am done with the restoration, but I have the rest of my life to get it finished !!!

I am not sure what those are but I bet pierce does he is a bank of knowledge , I have read most of his post he knows his mechanics way better then I do ...he just lacks styling IMHO ....haha

Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by 240-FAN
When I get the money - for me its going to be between the Virgo or the ones in this link. I somehow never liked the stock plastic caps that I have on my '91

1985 Volvo 240 For Sale

I believe those are the Dersus 14" rims off a mid/late 80s 740/760.

they are kind of ugly when that big hubcap falls off.

there's also a similer 15" Rigel wheel

this last one is REALLY ugly when the hubcap falls off.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 AM

Your 245 is going to be unique John, no doubt. Good luck!