Need 240/Ford 5.0 manual trans info

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 240/Ford 5.0 manual trans info

I recently bought an unused Ross Converse Engrg. 240 Volvo/Ford 5.0 V8 kit to use in my ongoing 242 project. Unfortunately, it is for an automatic trans and I have a Mustang T5 manual trans. Can anyone out there help me out with the manual trans info from Ross's kit? I have been trying to contact him for months, but no one answers the phone, his web site is dead, (jeez, maybe HE is dead?), IPD says he moved from Maine to Florida or California and haven't heard from him in years.
I need info on clutch actuation; cable? or hydraulic? Mustangs, depending on year, came either way. Some Volvo's used juice clutches, (my '83 Turbo is cable operated) crossmember fab? Hot rod shops sell adjustable Mustang cable assy, did you use this? FRPP sells high performance hydraulic unit, did you use this? And so on.
If anyone out there can burn off a copy of manual trans info from their kit from Ross or provide info they have learned on their own, I would be very grateful. I'll buy the info too, if you wish, just send info on cost.
Contact me here. I am in Dearborn, Michigan

Last edited by nortons; 12-23-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: prevent spam
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are going to want the hydraulic master from a 700/900 Volvo as the 260s are hard to find.
I'm not sure which slave you'll need.
You will need a Hydralic clutch pedal from a 260 model as it is the only 240 that had them.
I just have a modified pedal from a Cabel pedal car.

Yoshifab.com sells transmission xmembers and stuff which should work for this.

Call josh at yoshifab, he can get/ build anything for your swap.
RSI might take a while to respond.

Edit: remove your contact info front the post. You will get unwanted spam.

Last edited by TIPSP; 12-22-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the tip on Yoshifab. I know they are all about Chevy swaps, but a crossmember should be right up their alley. Will contact them after the holidays.
260 pedal assembly?
In 30+ years of paying attention, I have only seen one 260 that I can remember. Volvos were never very plentiful here in Detroit area, until Ford was involved. 850, S/V/C70 cars are worth zip around here, junkyards are full of them, mo stly with bad auto trans since it costs $$$$$$$$!! to fix 'em. I have a really nice, (now), 2000 V70XC that I bought to fix&flip and do a lot of junkyard trawling, and though there are a tiny handful of 240 cars, I've yet to see a 260. Local Beck Arnley supplier can come up with hydraulic clutch master cylinder, but salvage yards draw blanks on 260 pedal assy. I see you are in Cal., can you find them there? Cars dissolve pretty quick around here from road salt and go to the crusher early. Getting hard to find 240s anymore.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:42 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

260's are rare nowdays here in Volvo Heaven aka Coastal Central California, too, as they are all at least 30 years old now, and the PRV 2.8L V6 was not a easy engine to maintain. the earlier PRVs had top end lubrication issues and all died a long time ago.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Got Boost?

The 240 pedal assemblies are all the same.

You only need the pedal.

Name:  IMG_0104.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  55.7 KB

Here is the modified cable pedal to work with the hydraulic setup.

just copy this, or ask someone on turbobricks for a 260 pedal. as mentioned... they are super rare.

Name:  IMG_0094.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  64.1 KB

I bought a friends car and all this was included. Im using this in my 75 242dl.

Im also using the 700/900 master.

Here:

Name:  DSC_9339.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  43.3 KB

it bolts right up.

You might have to open up the holes a little depending on the year 240 firewall plate. Some people have to do that since they are a little different.

The external reservoir is easy to do as it is just a rubber hose to a reservoir like on a motor bike...

Anything similar to this will work:

I have no Idea what slave you will need...

I assume it will be a for t5 slave that mounts to the bellhousing, and then you just need a line from your Volvo master to the ford slave. which should be easy to make or buy.

Ask around turbobricks.com

Edit:

Here is the transmission Xmember Josh makes for the t5 to 240.

I have all this and am installing it on my 75 right now.

Last edited by TIPSP; 12-23-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Oh, man! Great photos! THANK YOU for info! You've saved me a huge amount of crawling around on moldy, smelly, wet, teetering wrecks in frozen mudhole junkyards. Greatly appreciated, my friend.
What I have is my much loved, but rusty as can be, '83 242 Turbo, (manual trans), that I started out to restore a couple of years ago after it had been sitting for about 10 years, covered and pushed as far back in the garage as possible. A quest to find sheet metal replacement parts ensued and what was found was used rusty junk. Seems 2 door parts are way hard to find in USA, but you can get 'em in Germany. Shipping costs are astronomical. Some health problems came up with some surgeries including a new right knee from years of kickstarting old vintage bikes and a house move in there, too. So, the Turbo was rolled out into the light again and a realistic evaluation of body restoration took place; just too far gone, project on hold.
Shortly after, a super clean '84 242DL automatic trans "stripper" in Arkansas was spied on EBAY that was listed in the wrong place and not getting any bids. It went through a second time= same result, so I called the guy, bought it cheap, shipped it up here to Detroit. No rust, zippo, nada, beautiful floor pans, rockers, doors and hood/trunk lid like new. Interior is rough and ran horrible, needed new MAF, but once sorted ran and drove nice. So, I have two Volvo drive trains to sell to finance Mustang drive line, and a LOT of good spares from the rusty Turbo. While gathering parts, I've been busy with body, suspension, etc. Garage addition with major electrical upgrade happens as soon as ground thaws enough to pour concrete. Until then, gathering parts as finances permit and short spurts of work on project; metal parts in crappy fake knee get cold and ache. Drag racer neighbor provides spares from his blown, big block, wheelie bar, tube frame, '92 Mustang race car and donor car.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Got Boost?

Cool. Sounds like a nice set of parts to dig through.
Hope it all works out for you.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Got Boost?

Here is the way the setup I got works

Name:  IMG_0098.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  59.5 KB