New to forum,things ive learned!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum,things ive learned!

Hi I purchased a 89' 240 gl last december.It had some problems but what an engine.It has 150 ,000now and doesnt use a drop of oil.
I would like to give you tips on a couple repairs.
1The front end made a clunk and felt like a loose tie rod.I took it to a guy I thought was straight up.Told me it needed two strut bearings,two inner tie rods,and the rubber around the rack and pinion and told me he could do it for 275.I had just bought it couldnt afford another 240 and told him I would try to install the parts and have him align it.I ordered the parts.
All it needed was one inner tie rod and the strut spaner nut was loose.I jacked up the car and tightened up the spanner nut with a pair of channel locks.I replaced the tie rod and had it aligned somewhere else.Runs great.
2 My sun roof would only open 2 inches.I read some of your posts about the chain.So I took out the sunroof to find out the chain was ok.
It was an ecentric cam under the crank assembly.It had separated and slipped so the stop was now when the roof was 2inches open.Im just glad I didnt break it trying and trying to open it.So I took the handle off,took the two screws out and took the washer with the humps on the inside of the circle ,removed it.The only thing is when you open the sunroof dont keep cranking after its already open probably not good for it.Otherwise it works great.

My overdrive has always messed up a little.I would have to hit the button a couple of times.Now if I down shift it wont get into hi until the car is turned off for a long time.I hit the button but the arrow stays on.Before I take out the glove box how many relays are there.Does anyone have a pic.I know your posts say to check the wires but the relay seems easier to try first.I have to go get a rim at the salvage yard this week I'll get a relay then.I know just dont down shift ,but sometimes I want to feel like Im driving a race car varoom!

My name is Joe ,hope these tips can help someone save some extra work.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Default RE: New to forum,things ive learned!

Hi Its me again my 2nd post.275 not 240?Should of read it first.
Im a little dyslexis toped with ADD.[8D]
Anyway I realy enjoy driving my 240,it is the designed mechanic friendly,and is probably tougher than a humvee.Who ever reads this I hope life is treating you well.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Default RE: New to forum,things ive learned!

I am needing to do the left inner tie rod as well are there any tip's or tricks you could share? before i start