new issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new issues

After replacing my fuel pump my volvo developed a new quirk. It now lurches under acceleration. It feels like im going from no throttle to full throttle repeatedly. It does this under easy, normal, and hard acceleration. THis very same problem caused me to sell my last 244. I really dont want to sell this one but it is becoming unreliable very fast. Dont know if this is part of the problem but when i start it i will usually bog down for a few seconds then it will rev up fine. THis is on a 82 244 turbo manual trans. Thanks guys.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue.
Did this start after the new fuel pump?
Why did you replace the old one, was it completely dead or just had issues?
Based on what you say, sounds like the new pump is not performing right. Of course, assuming that the lift pump, the filter are OK...

Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

are you sure you used the correct fuel pump? KE-Jet systems require a lot more fuel pressure than LH systems. and turbos require significantly more fuel volume than non-turbos.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by lev
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue.
Did this start after the new fuel pump?
Why did you replace the old one, was it completely dead or just had issues?
Based on what you say, sounds like the new pump is not performing right. Of course, assuming that the lift pump, the filter are OK...
Yes it started after i replaced the In-tank pump.
I replaced it because my car died after getting gas and wouldn't start back up. I had no fuel to my filter and had power to the pump so i replaced it.
The fuel filter is brand new

Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
are you sure you used the correct fuel pump? KE-Jet systems require a lot more fuel pressure than LH systems. and turbos require significantly more fuel volume than non-turbos.
Its the same in-tank pump as the one that i removed. Im wondering if the in-line pump under the car is bad or starting to go bad. It will barely start now and when it does start and i get it to idle i cant drive it more than a couple blocks before it will want to die. I can order the inline pump from rock auto for like $40 i think it was. Or can i use a aftermarket high volume in-line fuel pump from autozone or o'reileys? I think i saw something about that the inline fuel pump is the high pressure one correct? I think it also said that its like 70-100 psi? If i found an inline pump that is in that range would that work or should i go with an oem style pump?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 AM
lev

I'd vote for the main pump being faulty, and would try to get the OEM--I don't believe they are that expensive anymore. Aftermarket ones usually need modifications.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:06 AM
no mo volvo

lev, remember, he has a 1982 turbo, which is KE-Jet, and pretty rare nowdays, AFAIK, its not the same main pump that all the later LH 240/740/940 use, but the in-tank pump might be the same, I don't know (and VADIS isn't much help)

bigryan: there was a rash of in-tank replacement pumps that were wired backwards, which would make them suck rather than pump, this certainly could cause fuel volume delivery problems. See In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender (which is talking about a newer LH injection car, but the principles are the same)

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by lev
I'd vote for the main pump being faulty, and would try to get the OEM--I don't believe they are that expensive anymore. Aftermarket ones usually need modifications.
lev, remember, he has a 1982 turbo, which is KE-Jet, and pretty rare nowdays, AFAIK, its not the same main pump that all the later LH 240/740/940 use, but the in-tank pump might be the same, I don't know (and VADIS isn't much help)

bigryan: there was a rash of in-tank replacement pumps that were wired backwards, which would make them suck rather than pump, this certainly could cause fuel volume delivery problems. See In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender (which is talking about a newer LH injection car, but the principles are the same)
It ran perfect for 2 days before this started to happen. Then it gradually started and got worse. I dont think that it would be wired backwards. The main in line pump is $40 from rockauto.com. Im going to order one tomorrow. My only other idea would be a bad injector. any other thoughts on a bad injector

Old 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM
lev

Yeah, that injection system is hard to diagnose, for me anyway--it's been years since I touched one and don't have fond memories of it. But I still think it's better to change the main pump under the circumstances.

Valid point re the possible miss wiring. If it was misswired, it would have run badly right away.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by lev
Yeah, that injection system is hard to diagnose, for me anyway--it's been years since I touched one and don't have fond memories of it. But I still think it's better to change the main pump under the circumstances.

Valid point re the possible miss wiring. If it was misswired, it would have run badly right away.
I try to give the best info possible. This Volvo has all sorts of wierd stuff that they did factory. It's only got to run for a couple more months so i can get my engine for my 4runner finished up. Then im going to start building a b230ft for this old girl.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 PM
no mo volvo

how much gas is in the tank? less than half a tank with a non-functioning transfer (tank) pump can result in fuel starvation when a full tank can run OK.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM

how much gas is in the tank? less than half a tank with a non-functioning transfer (tank) pump can result in fuel starvation when a full tank can run OK.
When i first changed that pump it was almost full right now it maybe under or right around half a tank. When i get paid tonight ill go fill up my 5 gallon gas can and top off the tank and see what happens.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:19 PM

I went and looked on rockauto for a fuel pump. Saw something i don't know what it is. It said on was not for VDO applications. What does this mean? The pictures for the ones that didn't say that looked the same. There is a $40 difference in price so please help. I don't want to order the wrong thing

Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 PM

Ok you are the all mighty volvo god. You called it hopefully. I put $10 in it and it ran perfect. I did forget to drive it before i put the gas in. Hopefully this wasnt a fluke. What does this tell you now.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 PM
no mo volvo

that tells me your intank pump is not working right.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 AM

that tells me your intank pump is not working right.
So i possibly bought a junk pump? Do you know what the psi should be right from the pump? I can put a pressure tester right there at the pump and check it.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Would having a messed up turbo make any of this happen. I still haven't swapped my turbo over yet. And i think my turbo is making noise. I had my wife drive me to go meet my buddy for work and i started hearing a noise that sounds like the cooling fan is rubbing on the shroud but i know for 100% thats not what the noise is it just sounds like that. Best example i could give. When the engine makes the noise it doesn't build boost

Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 AM

PRECISE 402P2487 Electric Info One of our most popular parts
In-Tank Low Pressure Pump; Not For VDO Pump Applications; Use with Pump # 402-P8002

PRECISE 402P8002 Electric Info
Externally Mounted High Pressure Pump; Not For VDO Pump Applications; Use With Pump # 402-P2487

What does this mean? Not for VDO pump applications.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnect fuel line wherever is easiest for you between the tank and the pump. Crank engine. Anything come out?

Old 01-28-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by REVOLV
Disconnect fuel line wherever is easiest for you between the tank and the pump. Crank engine. Anything come out?
I have fuel coming out of my filter and it does run it's a intermittant fuel supply issue or apparently when the level is below half a tank

Quick Reply: new issues