New Member Intro, +Need 240 Purchasing Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Intro, +Need 240 Purchasing Help

Hi all, my name is Blake. I am usually a BMW guy, but my first car was an '84 Volvo 240 Turbo Coupe, with over 400k miles on it that I got for $100. It last me several months when I sold it to my mom's bastard of a boyfriend that drove it for an additional year before selling the car. My second car was an '88 BMW 325is E30, followed by an '87 BMW 535is E28, '88 BMW 325i Convertible E30, and finally my last car being an '87 BMW 535i E28. I am a member of several BMW forums, so I know the ropes.

As much of a car guy as I like to claim to be, I am originally from Florida but sold my car and left all tools to move to Denver. I have never been entirely mechanically inclined, but did do small jobs, replaced my interior and took as much care of a classic car as a poor college student at the time could. I have been carless now for over 6 months but am now on the search for a new vehicle. Only cars I'm interested in are vintage BMWs and old Volvo 240s.

Question. I just came across a '79 242 coupe local to me with a claimed 79k miles and 4 speed manual, which I would like to check out. I've been lusting after another 240 coupe since my last, and they so rarely come up for sale. It's also right in my price range. It is missing the backseat, and is in need of a waterpump and radiator. He claims that the parts will only cost $180 together. Is this accurate? How much (average) would such a job cost to be repaired at a mechanic? Are these parts that would be available at any mechanic shop or would I need to have them with me before taking it in? It's a good hour from me, so I'd have to get it fixed immediately, prior to driving it home. Also, what else should I look out for? What is prone to go wrong on this model of this age? And, will the interior of any 240 be able to be swapped into this car? If not, what years would I need to look for to find a decent back seat in a junk yard?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Blake

Some photos of the possible purchase:

Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's got Virgos on it. If I could get one like that, I would. I think all interior parts can interchange, but I'm no 240 expert. I've got 1 and it's a 91 and was freeeeeeee! I would prefer the styling of this much older one. Mechanical engine parts are pretty much all the same, so I would not worry about availability. Just check for rust and all the usual things with old cars. The things that sell me on this one is the old single round headlights, a stick shift and the Virgo alloy wheels.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Titan Joe
It's got Virgos on it. If I could get one like that, I would. I think all interior parts can interchange, but I'm no 240 expert. I've got 1 and it's a 91 and was freeeeeeee! I would prefer the styling of this much older one. Mechanical engine parts are pretty much all the same, so I would not worry about availability. Just check for rust and all the usual things with old cars. The things that sell me on this one is the old single round headlights, a stick shift and the Virgo alloy wheels.
I agree. Those are all the things that caught my eye about this car. I love the round lights, coming from the BMW community. I am actually quite excited to check this car out. I just might have the guy meet me at a mechanic and get it inspected prior to biting on a purchase.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Just so you can have an idea here is a link listing the prices on the parts that you will probably need. Cooling Parts, Radiators, Thermostats, Water Pump Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 PM

The seller is trying to back out, claiming the car is "too much of a project" for me, simply because I'm asking thorough questions prior to having to commute an hour via bus to check it out. Of course I'm going to ask for all details about what is wrong with the car prior, and ask for additional photos. Now he has disclosed that the turn signals don't work, and there is no work AC/Heat.

So new question, are these cars prone to electrical problems which would explain the turn signals, or did this guy just never change the bulbs? What kind of job would it be to get the heat on this car working again? I know I'm not giving much to go off of, but I know how easy it was to change the heater core on the E28 to get heat again. Is it a simple system in a '79 242? I'm hoping this guy discloses more, prior to checking it out.

Last edited by BMWgiant; 10-23-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Keep in mind that if the car needs a lot of repairs, even if they are minor, it could end up costing more than what the car is worth. Sometimes its better to spend a little extra and buy one that is fully operational. The only problem is that there are not too many 2 door 240's around. The only way that I would consider the car is if you feel that you can make most if not all the repairs. Another thing to keep in mind is that the car is probably going to have other issues on top of the ones already disclosed by the seller and remember that the car is over 30 years old. If you don't mind me asking how much is the owner asking for the car.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by BMWgiant
The seller is trying to back out, claiming the car is "too much of a project" for me, simply because I'm asking thorough questions prior to having to commute an hour via bus to check it out. Of course I'm going to ask for all details about what is wrong with the car prior, and ask for additional photos. Now he has disclosed that the turn signals don't work, and there is no work AC/Heat.

So new question, are these cars prone to electrical problems which would explain the turn signals, or did this guy just never change the bulbs? What kind of job would it be to get the heat on this car working again? I know I'm not giving much to go off of, but I know how easy it was to change the heater core on the E28 to get heat again. Is it a simple system in a '79 242? I'm hoping this guy discloses more, prior to checking it out.
I bought my 89 240 Wagon this past summer. I've done mechanical work all my life, but am new to Volvos.

Anywhoo... Mine had been sitting in storage for awhile (at least a couple years) in a place that was not completely dry. I had a lot of weird little electrical gremlins that turned out to be "contact" problems in the fuse box, and bulb connectors. After cleaning & light sanding, pretty much everything was working properly. That MIGHT be what you'd experience with this car.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Well, the guy doesn't seem like the ideal seller. After I asked additional questions, he responded claiming it sold. I don't quite believe him, but I don't think he is looking to disclose too much about the car. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for something else. I was really looking forward to a coupe with round lights...

Old 10-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Be happy, the car apparently has more serious problems that the seller is not willing to disclose. He is obviously looking for a buyer that isn't going to ask too many questions. You are not what the seller is looking for and the car is not for you anyways.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm... quite possible the seller has a conscience. There's a huge gulf between what I would buy as a project and what I would ride the gray dog for an hour and expect to drive home. The number of questions asked by you must have made him realize you were planning on making it an immediate daily driver.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:55 AM

you ain't got much money? for that car, IF, IF I had around a grand I would freaking buy it. You won't come across another one like that...you still in college? maybe this ain't for you. but if you got room to work on, a water pump is peace of cake. CAR LESS OVER SIX MONTHS? YOU HAVE CASH STASHED THEN...BMW'S ARE BMW'S YOU ARE NOT DOWN GRADING JUST DIFFERENT TASTE IF YOU BUY A VOLVO. OR JUST BUY A DAM BMW MAN....I just love these cars you understand...I owned a mint 323i that my uncle inherited to me but sadly ended up in TJ somewhere.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:25 PM

No I don't have much money. I was unemployed for several months, but recently just got a job, so I'm now financially stable enough to own a car again. I wish I could have bought that car, but I live downtown Denver, have no parking spot or garage and moved here 7 months ago, leaving all my tools back in Florida. So, makes things tough when I don't have a spot or tools to work on a car.

I did just come across an 780 on craigslist, also listed on ebay, if you look it up. I have just been introduced to this model, and I believe I am in love. Sadly, it's an auto, but I still contacted the seller to hopefully check it out.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:33 AM

Yes I know, I was just laid off with no freaking hint.....HEY WE ARE CLOSING SHOP SEE YA...just like that....I understand...YES THE GOLD 780 BERTONE IS 007 KICK AS$ clean too. Best wishes, I don't belive in luck, just careful planning.