New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New forum member intro with new V60 to come (long and possibly boring)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New forum member intro with new V60 to come (long and possibly boring)

5.Apr.2014

Hi, Velocitoro here.

Today is Saturday, 5.Apr.2014, and I ordered my new Volvo this past Monday (and Tuesday: long and nervewracking story). Delivery date set for early Jul.2014 (just before holiday season begins for Volvo factory) at Goteborg Factory Delivery Center (FDC).

Vehicle in question is officially described as:

2015 Volvo V60 R-Design Platinum AWD T6 Polestar

[Everything on it except NAV and Technology Package; and in Ice White (otherwise unavailable in USA) which should make it an even rarer beast when it finally arrives.]

Am I excited? How about can't sleep palpable anticipation: one cup of coffee should keep me awake through June.

I went through the OSD process in Sep.2011 when my spousal unit and I picked up her 2012 XC70 AWD T6 at the FDC.
During that visit we only put about 500 miles on the car, staying primarily in the Malmo area of southern Sweden. A few day trips, but mainly her car stayed garaged and most travel (Stockholm, Copenhagen, other unspellable Swedish destinations) was by local ground transportation, ferry and rail. Each of us has been to Europe a few times (not to Sweden, however) both together and separately over the years, so we knew that public transportation was the way to go. We bought the proper rail passes before leaving the USA and picked up proper City Passes and other travel necessities upon arrival. We stayed the 15 days allocated for international insurance, returned the car to the FDC, were shuttled to the hotel, then taken to the Goteborg airport (GOT) for the flight home.

This coming July I have waived the registration charge necessary for the car to be plated and to drive in Europe with the expectation that as soon as I am handed the key, I will hand it right back and ask that the V60 be put on the next ship leaving Goteborg for the USA. No lunch and factory tour this time (as interesting and recommended as it is the first time). Just a request for the shuttle from the FDC to the Volvo Museum along with the complimentary admission pass. From there either their limo service (if available) or a bus back to the Grand Station in Goteborg City Centre, train to Oslo (never been to Norway) for a couple of days/nights, then fly to Dublin, rent a car, motor around the Emerald Isle for about 3 weeks before returning home.

I've owned all kinds of cars from brute American Muscle to Reliably Boring Japanese to Sophisticated European over the years (some junk, some I wish I had kept). When we got her 2012 Volvo, the decision at the time was whether to keep my 1999 Audi A4 Quattro or inherit her 2005 VW Passat GLX 4Motion Variant (Wagon). I wound up selling my Audi for ~$2500 over max book value due to its pristine condition and the VW (actually a "Junior Audi" since it had the same 2.8L engine, transmission and AWD as my departed Audi). The decision to keep her variant revealed that I am definitely into wagons (variants, estates, or other descriptors) and when the V60 was introduced into the USA (particularly a V60 specced out like this one), the whole situation became a no-brainer for me.

Well, this has been my intro statement. As an almost Volvo owner, I will probably be joining other Volvo-centric sites so you may run across some of this elsewhere. Feel free to ignore. But hope to see you down the road.

Thanks for reading along. Wish me luck.

Until later.

Velocitoro

Old 04-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice, welcome to the forum. Let us know when you get it.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New forum member intro with new V60 to come (correction addendum)

8.Apr.2014

I need to amend part of the original post in which I stated that:

"Vehicle in question is officially described as:
2015 Volvo V60 R-Design Platinum AWD T6 Polestar"

That information came from the spec sheet provided to me by the representative of my local Volvo dealership.

Yesterday, however, I received the oversized packet from VCNA which contained the official Order Confirmation along with the DVD and all other OSD information. This Order Confirmation states:

Body type:
V60 T6
R - DESIGN PREMIER PLUS
5 DOORS ESTATE

A little investigation revealed that by cherry-picking and declining NAV from its usual package, the designation changes from "R-Design Platinum" to "R-Design Premier Plus." That change alone causes the redesignation. I certainly don't care about the label, just the product. But, sorry for the misinformation, my bad.

It also goes on to state:

Engine:
6 CYL INJECTION 2953 CC 300 HP

I contacted VCNA today for clarification and they assured me that ALL R-Design V60s built to USA specs ARE Polestar equipped resulting in the "325hp" designation as stated on the volvocars.com website and that the info the VCNA uses is initiated in Sweden and they simply had not changed the hp number. All final tweaks related to the order have hopefully been resolved amidst a flurry of emails and phone calls.

Anyway, all these speed bumps don't diminish my excitement and anticipation. (Damn long time to wait for delivery to the USA though: until mid-August at the earliest.)

BTW, much thanks to Super Moderator rspi for your welcome and comments. I was truly beginning to wonder about having joined Volvo Forums since the original post elicited zero responses....glimmer of faith restored.

Until later.

Velocitoro