newwagonner's new wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newwagonner's new wagon.

Good day to all.
New to this forum as I am a new owner of a '92 Volvo 240 wagon.
The dame is a looker, but the previous owner neglected to mention some issues that in these days and especially today has started to worry me.
This morning I started the car and unusually from what I always do I left the driveway quickly. When it came the time for the transmission to go in second gear, the car slipped for about 2 seconds.
The shifting from gear to gear is generally good, but not with regularity. At times the shift from 1st to second is a bit jumpy and it seems to me that in 3rd to 4th it takes a bit to shift (around 45 mph).
I might be wrong on this, but it seems to me that the transmission fluid is way too high as it goes over the max area.

Yesterday getting on the driveway I noticed the check engine light coming on for an instant and the car felt rough as if it wanted to stop, but it didn't. The same thing happened today (but without check engine light ).

One more issue that I noticed a few days ago while on the freeway after about an excruciating drive in the city (Los ANgeles!) I noticed the oil light coming on for an instant when on idle.
In the manual it says that this could be a normal condition for these cars after rough driving
The Oil level was good, but even then I performed an oil change with Castrol 15w/40 Diesel oil.
My apologies for the long post, but I think more details could be beneficial to guess the roots of the problems.
Thank you for any of your responses.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Welcome to the joys of Volvo ownership. I'm glad you got a wagon that is the best kind.

My oil light comes on at idle sometimes after driving on the highway. The reason the manual says that I think is that the oil light on Volvo 240s comes on at a higher pressure than on most cars, so it'll occasionally come on under normal conditions. I think using diesel oil is a little drastic as a remedy for the oil light coming on once, and I'm not sure that's going to do more good than harm.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I am a newby to the Volvo world and never been an expert.
I was recommended that oil by the employee at Auto Zone where I purchased it. In the Volvo's owner's manual they recommend 15w/40 oil. You live and learn.
One correction.
The transmission fluid's level is fine: I was checking it with the engine off. I really am not an expert, but I intend to learn because I really care for this car.