No Lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Lights!!

Hey all, I need help. I have a 91 740 sedan and have lost my head and tail lights. I was removing the alternator the other day and like an idiot forgot to disconnect the battery. I got some spark and afterwards found that the head and tail lights would not operate. The high beams will come on when I pull the beam select lever and hold it but thats it. I have checked all the fuses and the bulbs work I guess because the high beams come on. I got some relays from a junkyard and tried switching some out that are behind the main fuse block behind the ashtray but am not exactly sure which one is the light relay. Someone told me the one marked 'k' is..is this right? I thought of testing the relay sockets to confirm power but am unsure which sockets to test. I have tried switching the switch and that doesnt seem to be it. If its not the relay or fuses what could it be?? Please help.

Thanks,
William

Old 03-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: No Lights!!

You checked all the fuses under the hood as well?I think there is a relay under the hood as well for the headlights.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:24 AM

Thanks. Im not really sure where this relay under the hood would be or what it looks like..thats the problem. I cant find a manual anywhere. If you have any info or diagrams I would be very greatful.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

I will see what I can dig up.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:30 PM

Any word yet? I really do hate the idea of taking this thing to the shop.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Not yet but working on it.I have also seen theis before but cant remember what it was.There has to be a fuse or fuseable link somewhere that is burned out.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:33 PM

Any news? Anyone?? I have an update. The relay and fuses seem ok. I am not getting power to the light switch which, from what I understand then flips the relay. Does anyone have any idea if there is some mechanism or fusible link prior to the light switch? Any diagrams for a 91 740?

Old 03-23-2005, 01:50 AM

Well, its not the ignition switch. I have found that if I run an alternate ground to the light switch itself, the low beams come on but the dash/interior and high beams wont come on. Where in the world could all this converge to be causing this?? Anyone?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM

I am experiencing the same troubles and have followed pretty much the same procedures that you guys have.
My car is a 1992 Volvo 240 wagon.
I did not try the ground alternate test to the switch that one of you mentioned doing, but I shorted across the switch, without succes exept for hearing something that sounded like, maybe a relay, click, always when I switched from headlamp to parklamps. The noise seemed to be coming from an area that sounde like behind the casset deck or under the middle of the dash. I will be having someone click the switch when I stick my head closer to where I thought the sound was -in oredr to more closely locate it. The park light works in the front dr-side socket right now that is all the lights I have besides -as wil tried -using the upper beam switch. When I do it i have to pull back on the upper beam handle, which will only make the high beems work as long as I am pulling it.
My test probe indicator light proved that I had power going to two diferent poles in the switch which is actualy two switches -park lights, and headlamps, which is I am pretty sure is right
*DIMMER SWITCH? The thought just came into my head while talking about the dimmer lever on the steering collumn, to see if there is something...
*maybe it has something to do with the dimmer switch wiring or connectors or switch itself.
Also I have not;
*tested any of the lights with an Ohmmeter, like a mechanic told me to do, or tried to test any of the lights directly on the battery,
*or tested the system with a voltmeter, but I am game, except that I will be getting into areas that I know little.
I don't know if I look forward to messing around the steering collumn, based on past experiences with other cars.
Marty

Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Also I suspected and a mechanic who i had go through the car after I purchased it last year, supected that the front end of the car maight have been once rebuilt, which could account for problems in the wiring in the steering collumn and maybe some of the circuits and components under the dash being not put back or replaced perfectly or as completely stock. My car may have a component like a relay located in a not like-stock location or ommitted something, or added something, else that was not stock. The mechanic who is a certified professional shopowner works on Volvos said it probably does have a relay. My manual does not mention a relay.
i am thinking the least troublesome next step is going to be to try disconnect, or bypass the dimmer, dimmer and if that is not the problem tring to locate the sound coming from behind the radio. I hade getting under a dash almost as much as i hate getting into a steering collumn.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM