overheating? am I on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mandy Mclovin
My 240 is having the same overheating issues. Replaced the water pump. The after market model had a better design. Replaced fan clutch. Did some repair to the fan shroud. Took the radiator to the car wash and blasted it clean. Drilled out the middle of the thermo to make it free flow antifreeze. Still over heats when car is fully warmed up and sitting in heavy traffic or the drive thru. Havent messed with the compensation board or replaced the Rad. After hearing your issues I think I'm gonna replace the rad next. Thank goodness my boyfriend is a mechanic!
1. Go get a laser temp gun(borrow it from a shop or see if your local parts store lends them out or has a cheap one to purchase this will save you a TON of $$ in the long run. You DO NOT want to just start throwing parts at the car...mechanics don't do that they test first then replace. #2. Take the temp of the thermostat first point it at the nut closet to drivers side that holds housing in place. temp should read 180-190. #3. The take the temp of the radiator. You need to take temp of both sides. If the temp is the same or very close to the same on both sides then you have a bad radiator. If the degrees differ from one side to the other by 20-30 degrees then your radiator is just fine