Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ALIGNMENT OFF of front-right wheel after hitting curb & getting 2 flats on right-side

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALIGNMENT OFF of front-right wheel after hitting curb & getting 2 flats on right-side

I switched cars with my mother because hers gets a little bit better gas milage and I had to go 5 times as far as she did that day. She hit a curb on our very own street and managed to blow out BOTH right-side tires. She took it up the driveway and parked it. There's a slight dent in the lip of the rim, but I sanded the sharp edge on the inside of that rim all the way down and put two used tires on it!!!

(Have you guys ever had to replace two flat tires on the same side of an 850 before?? It was almost impossible. I was forced to use the jack in the trunk because my floor jack couldn't get underneath, then the trunk jack collapsed on me, almost immediately after I screwed one lug nut back in just in case it managed to collapse!!! Thank God!)

Anyway.... The car now veers to the right very hard. I can see that the front-right tire alone is toed out && cambered out.

I really don't want to take this to a shop since my left tie-rod boot is cracked, my right cv joint boot is split all the way around, my anti-sway bar boots are cracked, my front-right strut mount has been making noise ever since I bought it, etc......

I would like to try adjusting the tie rod out a bit to get the toe straight, but everything I'm reading says I must adjust the tie rod on the other side. If the other side isn't toed in, then is that actually correct??

Perhaps I could just replace the strut and fix the problem???

Is there any specific part(s) that could have bent, causing a "toe-out, camber-out" gimp in this front-right tire???

I don't need this to be laser tuned, because my eyes are pretty sharp. And I don't need to be spending any more money than I possibly can, because I only paid $1200 for this car when I got it, and it was actually flawless. Since then, someone in an SUV backed into my hood and now this has happened. I can't afford to replace all these parts at once right now, and I don't think any of them have any amount of play.... but is there any way I can actually diagnose such a royal screw up???

Much love to the one that helps me figure this out!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CORRECTION:

I checked for play one more time, and the anti-sway bar seems to have a couple millimeters of play.

I guess I can replace that and see if the shop will do it. Probably not, since the boots are ripped on the other mentioned parts, and they will want to warranty their service....

Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The anti-sway bar doesn't have anything to do with alignment and having a bit of play in one of the links is normal wear.

I'm going to miss out on the "love" since there are a number of parts that could of been damaged when she hit the curb. There isn't a specific part that bends and the only way to tell is to know what you're looking for or at.

Taking it in to someone who knows what to look for would likely be your best bet.