Please check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please check this out...

Hello all,

My 1990 740T sedan began having problems with the "Check Engine" light coming on, i performed a self-diag via diagnostic tool to the left. the readout on #6 was 2-1-4, and on one occasion 2-4-1...indication EGR booster failures. That was issue number one, next came the brake failure light on the dash coming on and going out after a bit of driving, i checked brake fluid levels; the level was low but above the min mark (just above). I decided to take my Volvo to a mechanic. I ask the guy to do a thorough vehicular inspection; checking the faults indicated, brake system, and minor engine cut-out issues.

The mechanic explains that the master cylinder in leaking and could use replacement, the throttle switch could use replacement, the impulse sender could use replacment, the crank pulley is loose and could use replacment, the power steering hoses are being cut into and are leaking...and could use replacement, the turbo return tube is leaking, and to end the course the throttle body is dirty.

My question unto someone here is how serious are these issues in terms of price issues upon whether i could do it myself and save a lot of money or are these issues to be tackled by professionals. the price tag of an entire repair service is near 1600.00. I'm not so rich that it aint no thing to just foget aboutit and pay feeling a thumb up my bum......Can someone put in some input, thanks so evry much.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Please check this out...

throttle body, use chemtool to clean it and a brush

master cylinder... if you are up for it, take out old master cylinder, bench bleed the new one, and install it and bleed the whole brake system.

throttle switch do it yourself

power steering hose, get a high and low pressure hoses, and replace it yourself

turbo return line, check it the clamps are tigthen and condiiton of the line, replace it yourself.

Those are the items I think you can replace on your own. The other let the mechanic work on it.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 AM

I see, thank you for responding.

Regarding the power steering hose(s); you suggest replace with high and low pressure hose(s)?

I will have to refer to a service manual for step-by-step instruction of proper replacment of the master cylinder and the turbo return line. More over, the fact of the matter is that i am a novice in terms of servicing my own vehicle.

Any more details in terms of exact product codes and a reader-s digest form of basic overview of instructionupon the procedures would be greatly valued.

Again, thank you for your responce.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can do it all by your self.
214 RPM sensor =Speed sensor.
241 EGR system flow. Egr/intake needs cleaning.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 AM

Just check the condition and which power steering hose is leaking, have to follow the hoses from the power steering pump, to the steering rack.

Master Cylinder, first see if any fluid residue under the master cylinder on the brake power booster, if there is the master cylinder is bad. take it the steel line goes to the combination valve, and the bolts attached to the brake power booster. With the new master cylinder, have to get a few small rubber hoses that goes where the steel line goes into, and the other end back up to the reservior. Just a flat head or small rod to push the valve back and forth until no more bubbles coming out of the rubber tube. Then install the new master cylinder to the car, and bleed the brake system from the caliper bleeder valve from R/R, L/R, R/F, and L/F. You might need an assistant for the bleeding.

Its better to have those service manual. They do have better explaination and photos too! Good Luck.