Power Steering Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Change

What's a good way to change PS fluid on a 1991 940SE? Meaning without the "special equipment" shops want to charge for? Not looking for perfection, just as long as I get a good part of it out I'll be happy.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Power Steering Fluid Change

I'm not sure what your connections to your 940 rack look like but in the past I've always disconnected the fluid lines on the rack with the car jacked up in the front. This way once the lines are disconnected the resevoir will completely empty and you can grab a wheel and manually (slowly) turn it left and right. This will push out the majority of the fluid in the rack. Just hook the lines back up and fill the resevoir back up.

Now I did notice something odd recently when I changed the rack in my 240 last week. I poured in FEBI power steering fluid, of which is about $15 a quart, supposed to be the best stuff for foreign cars. Well my pump kept chattering when I turned the wheel to the left, it was smooth turning to the right but chattering like crazy to the left. So I dumped the "good stuff", and put in a quart of the Maxlife power steering fluid and now all is smooth. I guess my pump didn't like the good stuff...

Dale

Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dale- Does the fluid circulate? If so, could I simply suck out the fluid from the resivour ('89 240), refill with fresh, then a week later do it again, and maybe again. Seems like I could get the majority of the old stuff out this way. I get nervous about disconnecting "lines" if I don't absolutely need to. Your thoughts? By the way, any advice on tranny fluid change, see a couple of threads down on "Tranny fluid change". Dave

Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 PM

Hi Dave,

I'm not a big fan of sucking out the resevoir either with the power steering or brakes. I guess you could do it that way but you will get less then half of the fluid out. Perhaps if you do it several times it would help but you're still contaminating the new fluid with the old. Ummmm, I guess it may help doing it the way you want to....

Also I have no experience with changing the ATF on the Volvo's. I've done it on plenty of other vehicles but mine is a stick so I've never done one before. They're all very similiar, the major differences I've noticed is that most of the older european cars have a drain on the converters whereas the US cars don't. Hopefully tech or someone else will chime in and help answer your questions.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jet- I need to jack her up for an oil change (tonight?) I'll check out the steering lines you are refering to. If it aint broke... Isucked out a bunch of dirty PS fluid the other night, might justsee what it looks like this weekend. If dirty, Its circulating and I might try my repeat method. Dave