Steering Rack, Water Pump, and Steering Fluid Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack, Water Pump, and Steering Fluid Pump

We just took our 1988 240 in for a check-up before a big trip over the holidays (around 2000 miles). For the most part it runs very well and have had few problems in the last 18 months. However, our mechanic said there are going to be over $1500 of repairs including the steering rack (most important he said), the water pump, a steering fluid leak (we knew going in), the steering fluid pump, and 5 or 6 other things. He's calling in the morning with more details.

Our initial thought is to say forget it and go pick up the car. We don't really trust him yet but don't really have an alternative either. I wish I'd gone to trade school now instead of the liberal arts! But we also don't feel the car is worth that much. We could easily buy another one for that amount.

The question is how can you check up on your mechanic to make sure he isn't gouging us? Plus are the above mentioned repairs really that expensive and is there anyway we could do them ourselves? And, anyone from Texas (Dallas or Austin area) that knows or is a decent mechanic. We've only been in the area a little over a year and Texas isn't exactly Volvo country.

Also, anywhere I can do some research to have a better knowledge base. Our repair book is on it's way.

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Steering Rack, Water Pump, and Steering Fluid Pump

It's hard to determine whether your car needs all this. However, the estimate seems in the ballpark if he were to replace all of the things you mention (labor is not cheap on this, not to mention the parts).

You may not need all of it. You indicated that it is leaking power steering fluid. Can you tell if it is leaking from the pump or the rack? If it is leaking from the rack, you pretty much have no choice but to replace (but may not have to replace the pump). How many miles is on the car?

As far as the water pump is concerned, are you losing coolant? Does the engine make a rattling sound when you start it that goes away when you rev the engine? If yes to either of these, then you may need the water pump. I wouldn't attempt the trip if the water pump is going bad. It could leave you stranded.

I just finished swapping both the steering rack and steering pump on my '91. It isn't an easy job for a beginner. Plus, you will need an alignment when done (~$80)