Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problems

In this 88 240 I've been given, I'm having a severe problem with radio reception. Both bands, I can pick up only the strongest signals, which leaves me to about 10% of all stations here. If I'm anywhere near a tree, or power line, the static is awful. It is not chasing the RPMs, so I don't think it's a bad ground or anything. My parents, who have had 5 volvos, say that is a common problem with volvos. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? I'm willing to replace the head-unit, antenna, or whatever. I've been told to check the grounds, but I wanted to get a little bit more solid advice on it before that. Thanks for any help!

Matthew

Old 08-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Default RE: Radio problems

Assuming you have a "passive" mast antenna (as opposed to the amplified window antennas in later cars like my 940) it's probably the head unit.

Mast anntennas are easy to troubleshoot/verify...you want ZERO resistance (ohms) from the mast to the plug at the radio (even when wiggled!) and ZERO from the base to the chassis. But INFINITE between the mast to the chassis.

When replacing a head unit look at a site like Crutchfield to compare the Sensitivity of the radios you are considering...and choose accordingly.

HTH

Old 08-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Carbuff

Assuming you have a "passive" mast antenna (as opposed to the amplified window antennas in later cars like my 940) it's probably the head unit.

Mast anntennas are easy to troubleshoot/verify...you want ZERO resistance (ohms) from the mast to the plug at the radio (even when wiggled!) and ZERO from the base to the chassis. But INFINITE between the mast to the chassis.

When replacing a head unit look at a site like Crutchfield to compare the Sensitivity of the radios you are considering...and choose accordingly.

HTH

I say the same thing.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:49 PM

I'm going to replace the head unit and I'll post the results.