Rear coil spring provlems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear coil spring provlems

My stock sedan was sagging in rear a quite a bit. I had rear suspension checked out and was told all bushings look aND feel good. So I put new shocks on helped a little bit. So after reading alot of post I decided to buy wagon rear springs. I installed them but it set up a little high for me. So I cut one coil of the top. Reinstalled and looked about right a little higher than the front. After driving for a couple of weeks I decided to check all my bolts etc. I found that both springs in the rear had moved off the top spring mount. One side was actually riding in the middle of the mount. I managed to pry it back over. It dimes the bottom mount isn't square with the top. I assume that I hit a bad dip in the road and the spring shifted over. Any thoughts on how to keep this from happening again. The front end is stock and been rebuilt with all new bushing etc. I do have 16 inch rims with spacers. No rubbing problems. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, the fix is don't cut the springs

the problem is, when its sitting, there is pressure eon the springs. However, when you go over a hard bump or something and the car bounces in the air, there is less pressure on the prints but the critical thing is that THERE STILL IS PRESSURE. The fact that you cut them means that they will never sit right and will continue to pop off, because the spring is now shorter than the reveal of the rear end.

if you want the ability to adjust, you have to get a kit built for that, never cut the springs.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:36 PM

Understand. Hard to believe that 1-1.5 inch made this big of difference. Probably put my factory spring's back on and see if it does it again. Won ding if have wrong shocks on allowing to much travel. Thanks

Old 04-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The wagon springs are too stiff for use on the sedan. Like you said, you had to shorten them for the ride height to be correct. When going over dips, the car will bounce up off the spring and allow it to shift.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by beleive
Understand. Hard to believe that 1-1.5 inch made this big of difference. Probably put my factory spring's back on and see if it does it again. Won ding if have wrong shocks on allowing to much travel. Thanks
technically you can cut the springs so long as you take the same amount off the top and the bottom. However in this case it won't work because of the travel distance.
perhaps look at the spring/strut length
you may be able to go with the struts and springs from the wagon but not mix match them
I still wouldn't recommend it as you would still have ride height issues more than likely.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Default Don't buy wagon springs for sedan

Just wanted say I put my stock springs back on and fixed my problems. I measured the wagon springs they were .565. If anybody try to tell you to buy the wagon sorings don't do it. Thanks for help.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nichals
technically you can cut the springs so long as you take the same amount off the top and the bottom. However in this case it won't work because of the travel distance.
perhaps look at the spring/strut length
you may be able to go with the struts and springs from the wagon but not mix match them
I still wouldn't recommend it as you would still have ride height issues more than likely.
You can't cut off of both ends. If you cut the pigtail end off you have no way of attaching the top of the coil to car.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe
You can't cut off of both ends. If you cut the pigtail end off you have no way of attaching the top of the coil to car.
Correct, you can't cut the rear springs of these volvos
You have to cut both ends of the spring, or cut 1 full ring off of just the top. If you cut one full ring off then you will have the problems described above.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM

Correct, you can't cut the rear springs of these volvos
You have to cut both ends of the spring, or cut 1 full ring off of just the top. If you cut one full ring off then you will have the problems described above.
What you're saying makes no sense. The top end of the coil is a pigtail. If you cut any amount off that end you'll have no way of mounting the spring. You can only cut off the bottom end and only if it's a tangential type.

Universal Coil Spring Specifications | Moog Suspension Parts

Old 05-03-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe
What you're saying makes no sense. The top end of the coil is a pigtail. If you cut any amount off that end you'll have no way of mounting the spring. You can only cut off the bottom end and only if it's a tangential type.

Universal Coil Spring Specifications | Moog Suspension Parts
What I am saying is, If you can't cut both ends of the spring, then you can't cut the spring. In this case, you can't cut them because the lower end is a pigtail. Therefore you can't cut the spring at all, unless you do something drastic such as taking a whole ring off the top.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:19 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

its the UPPER end thats a pig tail, but, what you're saying about cutting both ends makes zero sense. the spring doesn't care which end is cut off as long as its a full turn, and you dress the end the same way

IMHO, cutting springs to lower cars for 'looks' just looks stupid. when you shorten the spring, you reduce the amount of compression travel available to your suspension. now instead of perhaps 4" of compression travel from rest, you have 3", your spring rate had better be 25% higher or you'll bottom out your suspension on bumps and bend hard parts. the only sane way to lower a car is to replace the springs with shorter/stiffer ones, and then use a stiffer shock absorber too, as its a tuned system. now you have a car who's ride on real road streets is harsh and jarring. but it looks 'cool' (??!?).

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM

What I am saying is, If you can't cut both ends of the spring, then you can't cut the spring. In this case, you can't cut them because the lower end is a pigtail. Therefore you can't cut the spring at all, unless you do something drastic such as taking a whole ring off the top.
What Pierce said is right, it's the upper end that's the pigtail and the lower end is not. If the lower end is the tangential type than it can be cut. In other words, if you have the right type of lower end then one end can be cut, without cutting the other end. If you want to is up to you.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by beleive
My stock sedan was sagging in rear a quite a bit. I had rear suspension checked out and was told all bushings look aND feel good. So I put new shocks on helped a little bit. So after reading alot of post I decided to buy wagon rear springs. I installed them but it set up a little high for me. So I cut one coil of the top. Reinstalled and looked about right a little higher than the front. After driving for a couple of weeks I decided to check all my bolts etc. I found that both springs in the rear had moved off the top spring mount. One side was actually riding in the middle of the mount. I managed to pry it back over. It dimes the bottom mount isn't square with the top. I assume that I hit a bad dip in the road and the spring shifted over. Any thoughts on how to keep this from happening again. The front end is stock and been rebuilt with all new bushing etc. I do have 16 inch rims with spacers. No rubbing problems. Thanks.

Try these:
More Information for MOOG CC215

They have them for 240's and 740'2/940's and either sedan or wagon. I have them and they work great.