Removing seat back from 88 245 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing seat back from 88 245 wagon

As I struggled to remove the folding seat back, from the back seat of my 245, I continued to go back and forth to the internet, in the hopes of finding the tip that would give me success. There were some obscure references about sliding something flat underneath the seat, to where the pivot pin was located, I was completely befuddled. Finally, I stumbled upon a post somewhere, where a gentlemen clearly explained, a very easy method to pop this thing loose:

1.) Release the seat back, and fold it forward a little bit, so as to expose the small hog rings, holding the upholstery together at the bottom of the seat back.

2.) Remove the hog ring closest to the side of the back rest, on each side. You only need to remove one, and that will give you plenty of "slack" for the next step.

3.) Pull the fabric apart, where the hog ring was removed, and you will see a hole. Take a screwdriver or any other object that is somewhat skinny, and strong, and insert it into the hole.

4.) You can see in the provided picture, that you have to go in at an angle. Inserting the tool no more than a couple inches, should allow you to feel the pin sticking out. Once you feel your tool brush against this pin, simply use your tool to pry and exert a small amount of pressure, which will push the pin in, and at the same time, give a deliberate upward jiggle, and the side should release quite nicely.

5.) Stick something under the side you just released, so that it does not drop back down while you release the other side.

6.) I messed around with removing the old seat, for probably a good 20 minutes, before I figured it out. The trick was not going in to far with the tool, and actually feeling the pin with your tool, instead of just going crazy trying to pry it off.

Note: 1.) My tool of choice was a 1/4 inch ratchet extension, approximately 12 inches long. 2.) When you have your seat back reinstalled, use a small zip tie where the old hog ring was removed.

Hope this helps somebody else, as I was so elated to ultimately find this trick.

Scott