Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Removing passenger panel/unlocking door(Solution-cheap way without removing seat)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Removing passenger panel/unlocking door(Solution-cheap way without removing seat)

Hi all,

This will hopefully help a few people to save what would have otherwise been a hefty price to get door unlocked. I have a volvo 850 and my rear passenger door suddenly wouldn't open at grocer store and I was in a tangent about getting door opened without paying a million dollars(LOL). After finding out you had to remove rear seat to get at screw to remove panel I decided to go out and have at it myself to find a easier way to open the door. And volla i got the door open without having to remove the rear seat. Here is how:

1- Remove cover over speaker, be gentle so as not to break posts but with a flathead screwdriver pry it off. then remove four screws with 25mm torq screw. remove and unplug speaker and there is a single torq screw at bottom.

2- Remove plastic cover in door above latch by gentle prying off with flathead -should be three clips( one at each end and in middle), then remove torq screw with 20mm torq screw.

3- Now gently pry panel away from door while pushing it up and panel should pop free enough to pull away from door. Inside you will see a plastic cover over door mechanism. Remove

4-Inside if its just the bar you will see bar hanging down away from hinge it should be attached too. Unlock front passenger door and you will see which one moves. pulling the hinge down will cause door to be opened from outside(inside will not work)(etc. make sure window is down so you can reach outside.

5-Once door opens then remove last screw with 25mm torq screw and slide panel up and off un-attaching door light and close door letting still attached panel hang inside of car.

6-From there you will see hinge has disconnected from inside door latch. Make sure hinge is secure at top of hinge and then move inside door latch to re-attach to bar.( From here you can use (if you don't have washers) whatever you have to secure bar. I used heavy duty tape cut into strips to cross wrap and secure bottom of bar to hinge. Work it to your satisfaction till you are secure in fact bar will not come undone and door works.)

7-Reattach everything and re-attach panel.

I hope this helps someone because I had just got car out the shop after a $2100 dollar job and didn't feel like paying for what seemed like minor stuff. Payed myself for the $200+ labor(LOL).

will make posts as I come across things to help fix car. If anyone has any questions I will be glad to help if I have fixed it myself.

Have a good year.
Volvo till i die.....................

Last edited by xxscorpion; 01-17-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot to remove black handle on door latch during step 2