Rerouting 940 door speaker wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rerouting 940 door speaker wires

I have two 6x9 speakers that obviously won't fit in the rear doors of my 940 Wagon, so I was wondering if there is any way to reroute the speaker wires in the rear doors back into the interior so I could run them to separate speaker enclosures in the back (
these these
). I don't have too much experience with car audio or DIY so any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd probably run new wires from the amp or deck, and leave the original wires alone.

one way to route the wires is along the passenger side of where the floor meets the center hump. take the passenger front seat out (its just 4 bolts and a couple connectors), and both back seats (quick releases, they come out quite easily on wagons) then you should be able to route the wires from the dash under the carpet to the trunk area.

me, I put 5-1/4" round 2-ways in the back doors, and 6.5" round component speakers in the front doors, behind the factory grills. the tweeters for the component speakers I mounted in hte dash mounting places, with the crossovers tucked up under the driver side dash where the factory amp used to be.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
I'd probably run new wires from the amp or deck, and leave the original wires alone.

one way to route the wires is along the passenger side of where the floor meets the center hump. take the passenger front seat out (its just 4 bolts and a couple connectors), and both back seats (quick releases, they come out quite easily on wagons) then you should be able to route the wires from the dash under the carpet to the trunk area.

me, I put 5-1/4" round 2-ways in the back doors, and 6.5" round component speakers in the front doors, behind the factory grills. the tweeters for the component speakers I mounted in hte dash mounting places, with the crossovers tucked up under the driver side dash where the factory amp used to be.

Thank you very much for the reply. In all honesty, using 6 1/2's with my 5.25 speakers would be 10x as easy for me. However, I tried altering my 6" Kenwood speakers like you did to fit in my front doors and the actual foam of the interior of the door wouldn't even let me get the magnet inside the space. If I found a way to put bigger speakers in my front doors that would still leave the option of a subwoofer if I desired more bass.

Speaking of subwoofers, would you recommend a larger box enclosure or one of those slim profile subwoofers that can fit under a seat? My only concern would be that, when I start living in the city, having a large enclosure visible in the back would easily be stolen. Of course the slim profile wouldn't have as much power, but I could compromise.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 PM

Thank you very much for the response. In all honesty, having two 6.5's in the front and using my 5.25's in the rear would be much easier. My only problem is that, when I tried modifying my 6" Kenwood speakers with a bandsaw like you did, the foam of the door interior wouldn't even let me get the magnet inside the space. If i was able to use 6.5's in the front and 5.25's in the back then that would still leave open the option of a subwoofer, which is nice.

Speaking of subwoofers, would you recommend a large, separate enclosure for a subwoofer, or a slim profile sub that could fit under the front seats? My main concern is that once I start living in the city, having a large enclosure visible in the back of my wagon would most definitely be stolen. I'm sure the slim sub wouldn't have as much bass, but I could compromise.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm not sure there's an enclosure slim enough to fit under these front seats.... the heater ducts are under there for the back seat, too.

mmm, i don't remember foam in the doors being an issue, but my car was a 92. I removed the door panel entirely while installing the speakers, and if foam /had/ been in the way, I would have trimmed it away with a bread knife (or electric carving knife). The JL Audio component speakers I used had pretty darn big magnets, but I do think I removed the rubber covers from said magnets, those are purely cosmetic, and just occupy space.