Rig job for 2 new front door speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rig job for 2 new front door speakers.

I own a 91 740 4 door. I only have speakers in the rear doors and on top of the dash. I have slots for speakers in the front doors, but no wires etc. I got to thinking, insted of pulling the radio out to run new wire for 2 new front door speakers, i thought i could do this....The current front dash speakers are garbage so i thoght u could do this....clip the connecters that go to the dash speakers and run more speaker wire somehow to the inside of the front door pannals and just connect the two new front door speakers. Thus i dont have to pull my radio and ill have 2 new better sounding bigger speakers in my doors. I think this is a good idea. Comments?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Default RE: Rig job for 2 new front door speakers.

sounds plausible, but what might be a bit better is getting a cheap amp to power the 2 extra speakers in the doors if your receiver has a preamp output, the dash speakers have an advantage of placement, door speakers would have better bass, but the highs and mids will be muffled a bit by legs.

heck, I remember my first 240 had a random amp hooked up to nothing behind the glovebox (had an aftermarket head unit)

Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM

That'll work.....eventually, you could just replace the dash speakers too but the door speakers'll sound good enough

Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 AM

does any one know of an adaptor plate for the 240 front door speakers, am trying to replace the factory set and cant find anything small enough to not hit the window

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM

I INSTALLED 4 OFTHESE AND LOVE THEM!......
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1198888991061

I INSTALLED THIS HEAD UNIT WITH THEM AND LOVE THE QUALITY OF SOUND, LOTS OF BASS AND CLAIRITY..THE USB IS AWESOME, I PUT 455 TUNES ON A SINGLE 4GB STICK!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1198888712935

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_613KAC9...l=N&tp=115

Then I put in a Kenwood KAC-9103D amplifier IN AND LOVE IT 900 watts x 1 at 2 ohms and IT DRIVES A ROCKFORD FOSGATE 12 INCH 2 OHM Dual VoiceCoilSUB WITH A 3 INCH VOICE COIL THAT CAN HANDLE 1500 watt RMS set up at 1 OHM................
the magnet is almost as big around "12 inches" as the speaker! and this Monster weighs like 35LB!

IF YOU HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT HOW TO MOUNT THE FRONT SPEAKERS POST UP AND I WILL DETAIL WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, IT IS NOT TOO HARD JUST TIME CONSUMING..............

Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 AM

it show's that the kenwood's are 6 1/2 wide, does this fit the oem grille on the door? the mounting depth is only 1 13/16, i am preatty sure that the boston 4" speakers i'm trying to install are 2 1/2 inches deep. This is for the front door's right, and yes if you could detail what need's to be done I would greatly appreciate it

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rollthe windows down, and measure the depth from the top mounting surface and to the glass.
That is the only way tocheckwhat size speakers will fit.
I have a set of JBL GTI which are 3" deep I plan on using, so the 2 1/2" should fit.
I measured my car a few months back, but I don't remember the clearance[sm=headbang.gif].

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Take off the front door pannels which requires sliding the speaker Grills forward and off,- then take the Pannel OFFand go to a workbench to work,put the pannel face down on a towel on your bench so you dont scratch the vinyl or plastic you will be intalling and mounting the speaker to theBACKSIDE of Pannel so the speaker grill will not interfear with the larger than stock aftermarket speaker,take the new speaker and determine with a sharpie marker where to put new mounting holes in pannel,you will need to determine if the foam or rubber surround on your speakers can opperate freely without hitting the pannel, you will need to cut the pannel with a dremmel to make the hole for speaker all the while making sure you dont remove too much so you can still mount the speaker with at least 3 screws on the pannel,- I USED a small drill bit size and drilled the pannel where I determined with the sharpie marker the holes should go ,- I USED my own screws with nuts and lock washers from the hardware store to mount the speakers DIRECTLY to the Pannel while on the workbench,- When your done mounting the speakers to the backside or inside thepannels you need to determine on the doorskin where the magnet will need to have clearence inside the door, I USED a Nice pair of Sheetmetal Cutters "they look like heavy duty scizzors" and cut the sheetmetal in the door skin with ease and made room for the large aftermarket magnet size ,-NEXT

Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM

NEXT , - Put the pannel with spearker all ready mounted back on and determine if there are any clearence issues,- a great way to determine where the magnet needs to go and where to cut the door skin is Put with your finger a large ammount of axl grease on the magnet and put the pannel on just enough to allow the magnet with grease on it to hit the door skin metal then pull the pannel back off and put the pannel back on your work bench and use paper towel to remove the grease........now go and cut the door skin sheet metal where the grease showed the magnet interfeared and make your hole slightly larger than the magnet..........plan on a few hours of your time and take your time doing it, it IS worth your effort.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM

THE REAR DOORS REQUIRE THE DOORSKINS METAL TO BE CUT IN ORDER TO PUT THESE 6.5 SPEAKERS IN......
THE FRONTS ON MY 740 ONLY NEEDED A LITTLE SHEETMETAL CUT WHERE THE WIRES ATTACHED TO SPEAKER.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM

IF your doors have the RAIN SHEILD GUARD Plastic in there LEAVE IT IN !!............I needed to put ONE Cut with scizzors in mine to make it wide enough for aftermarket Larger magnet........MAKE THE CUT AT THE BOTTOM AND SPREAD IT WIDER AND TAPE WITH DUCT TAPE TO DOORSKIN TO HOLD IT WIDE.............
They keep the water from dripping on your nice New Speakers............