Short in Air Conditioner Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short in Air Conditioner Controller?

Being cool in the summer is important to me. Call me decadent. [8D]

So, I insisted that the '94 940 Wagon I'm buying have working A/C. The present owner (a family member) said it doesn't work. I told him to have it diagnosed.

Here's what I was told: "The air conditioner controller has a short. My mechanic will take it apart and soldier/fix it for $125."

I perused some of the Volvo sites a while and never found any history of such a problem. Is this a common problem on this vintage Volvo? If so, what is the fix, specifically?

What other common A/C system failures are likely?

Respectfully,

Atwell Haines
Soon-to-be-owner-of '94 940 Wagon
NJ

Old 02-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Short in Air Conditioner Controller?

Ok heres the story on teh A/C controllers.When the resistance gets higher in the A/C compressor the control module warms up and the solder connection comes loose.With age it melts fast.For now you can have it repaired.$125.00 for the repair is pretty cheap.The A/C compressor might be old but with the new solder on it you should be fine for a while.

That is a common problem with the A/C controllers.Alot of people just figured out how to repair it.It not the new module is like $500.00 or more.

The A/C compressor will probably be the next to go out on you.I cant say how long it will last.It might last 1 month or 3 years.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Tech.

ORIGINAL: tech

When the resistance gets higher in the A/C compressor the control module warms up and the solder connection comes loose.With age it melts fast.For now you can have it repaired.$125.00 for the repair is pretty cheap.The A/C compressor might be old but with the new solder on it you should be fine for a while.

That is a common problem with the A/C controllers.Alot of people just figured out how to repair it.It not the new module is like $500.00 or more.

The A/C compressor will probably be the next to go out on you.I cant say how long it will last.It might last 1 month or 3 years.

SO, you are saying the root of the problem is an A/C compressor that is drawing too much current, causing high current loads and melting the solder in the controller?

Would I be wise to be pro-active and replace the compressor now, or wait until it fails? Could the failing compressor cause the controller connections to fail again?

BTW where in the car is the controller? (Haven't yet purchased any manuals) In the dash? Sounds as if it takes a while to access.

TIA

Atwell Haines
soon-to-be-940 owner

Old 02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes that is most of the problem.When they are repaired they are better than new.I would wait for the compressor to fail.They connection may melt again in a couple of years.The controller is the main A/C panel in the dash.It is the entire peice that the switches are in fr the fan and everything else.If you need instructions to remove it let me know.