Show me your car audio -

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your car audio -

My factory stero in my 1989 240 wagon took a dive. It is time to up grade with a new cd player. Show me yours. Where did you mount
your rear speakers?
Thanks Don

Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM

My rear speakers came from an old hi-fi and they weren't really "mounted" per se, they just sat in the way back (it was a station wagon)

Old 05-15-2010, 03:30 PM

I mounted some Polk 401dbs in the front doors where the old speakers were. The only thing is I can't put a grill on it. The original or the polk one.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Skip the old school CD and get a head unit that has USB and iPod interface. My Kenwoods have a USB jack that I plug a flashdrive into...depending on the size of the thumbdrive, there's a hundred to over a thousand songs right there. Just sayin'...

Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
Skip the old school CD and get a head unit that has USB and iPod interface. My Kenwoods have a USB jack that I plug a flashdrive into...depending on the size of the thumbdrive, there's a hundred to over a thousand songs right there. Just sayin'...
Get an old tape deck, you'd be surprised how good a tape adapter can sound, sounds better than a tape even. Until you slam the cord in the door and it stops working on one speaker.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Hi there; If you install 4" speakers in the front door there are adapters that will hold the oem grilles, for the factory look, radio mounting kit for upper or lower mounting positions and plug/ harness kit so you don't have to guess wire connections or splice into the dash radio plug. For the rear speakers you have three basic choices: At the "C" post you can install 4" speakers using pre-89 station wagon speaker mounts, or mount at the bottom of the rear doors 6x9" speakers using 2" spacers or in the cargo area a sub-box using an power amplififer driven from the rear RCA outputs from your new aftermarket stereo. You can email me if you need pictures, any kind of these adapters or kits.

Last edited by morrisamazon53; 05-16-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Default Pictures - Yes

Yes - Send pictures.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Hi, sorry to jump in on this but I just purchased a 1977 245 station wagon, could someone tell me where the rear speakers are located if there are any. I cannot seem to find them

Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem with compressed music via USB or Ipod is all the sound quality you miss out on.
Maybe I'm more discerning, but there is a lot that goes missing when you transfer to digital storage and compress it a lot.
I still rock it old school but do also use the Iphone adaptor for music I buy off Itunes that's just too hard to find elsewhere. Plus I had a stacker laying around I wanted to use!
For speakers, I have some MB Quart in the front doors and some Phase Linear in the rear doors. It lacks deep bass response but is pretty impressive.
It really needs say a 10" subwoofer to help fill the mid and deep bass but as you can imagine, I have midrange and high end well covered. I just don't want to hack up my rear floor for a speaker, considering putting the sub inside the spare.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Default Radio will not pull out -1989 245 - top location

I am changing out the original radio in my 1989 240 wagon. I have everything loose and the head unit pulls out 2" and then is hung on something. Any idea's.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Can any one post pics of the location of rear speakers.... I got 2 in the front, but not able to hook another another two in the rear portion...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
has kenwood fixed the user interface on that? I have one of those with the USB jack, and the only way to select an album is to step through every folder sequentially by number (lets see, was Ornette Coleman #67 or #76?? arrrgh, more Frank Zappa!). with about 200 full CDs on my stick of a wide range of music, its rather frustrating and annoying. oh, and the order the player 'sees' them in does NOT appear to be alphabetical, rather it appears to be the order they were written on the FAT directory.

ipod jacked into front panel audio socket is better, but then you're playing with an ipod while driving, eeeek.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by omthoke
Can any one post pics of the location of rear speakers.... I got 2 in the front, but not able to hook another another two in the rear portion...
I don't believe the 240's had any provision for rear speakers. on our 240 sedan, I cut 6.5" holes in the rear tray for some nice JL Audio speakers. I since realized I should NEVER have used coaxial speakers facing straight up, as the dog likes to get beach sand everywhere, and if particles of sand fall through the speaker grills, they land on the cone, then vibrate their way down to the gap between the cone and the tweeter support pillar, where they jam the voice coil. if I ever do upward facing speakers in a sedan again, I'll use separate components rather than coaxials.

if I had a 240 wagon, I'd probably use a small truck box in the cargo area, with an amplifier under the rear deck. run line out from the stereo, and fused power from the battery down the right side of the transmission hump under the carpet...

the 745/945 wagons have speakers in the rear doors, I believe they are 5.25" but I haven't fitted a set yet. The 945 I've taken apart had 6" speakers in the front doors and tweeters in the dash, while the 745's I've seen had just the dash speakers in front (they have wiring in the front doors for additional speakers, just no speakers).

Last edited by pierce; 01-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Only problem with compressed music via USB or Ipod is all the sound quality you miss out on.
Maybe I'm more discerning, but there is a lot that goes missing when you transfer to digital storage and compress it a lot.
over the road and wind noise in a 240? ahahahaahahahaa.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Magic_Don
I am changing out the original radio in my 1989 240 wagon. I have everything loose and the head unit pulls out 2" and then is hung on something. Any idea's.
This is a year late response, but someone might benefit from it. I removed the glove box, and reached in and started pulling out plugs starting with the antenna--once I had most of them out, I was able to pull the tape deck out and access the last multi-plug and remove the unit.