So many problems, what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So many problems, what's the point?

A friend gave me an '88 740 GLE, which at the time needed a new exhaust system, front brakes, tune up, blower not working and numerous electrical problems. I fixed the brakes to the tune of $411. On Monday the engine overheated, and the mechanic I took it to said the head gasket was blown. I need something for the coming winter, but I don't see a point in pouring money into this car. thoughts?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 PM

well the car was free, say you put another grand in it, you know what you have, and your option is to what? buy a new car for 20-25k? buy a used car for 10k, 5k, 1500? heck you may wind up putting a grand or more into another used car...in fact, id count on it. get an estimate for everything you need to get it running and safe. prioritize your list of needs. you can and will live without a blower motor for a few months (i did in a mississippi summer, so you can too) and then, just go down your list and do the jobs you feel comfortable doing based on your skill level. You can do the headgasket for maybe 200 yourself for example. Then you'll have safe, reliable transportation for not a lot of dough. Just my .02cents

Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Headgasket jobs are ridiculously expensive, but not all that difficult. It sure as hell takes a while, and there's a lot of tedious work involved, but if you've got the time and energy and genuinely enjoy tinkering, I recommend doing that yourself. I just replaced my cylinder head, never done it before and it went off with the only hitches being caused by my chronic (and possibly terminal) forgetfulness. Like when finishing up the job I wondered why it wouldn't idle and then I realized that not only had I forgotten the fuel injector o-rings, but I had no idea where I put them so I had to buy new ones.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Cool

Well, after a week, the oil shows no indication of coolant mixed in (doesn't look like chocolate malt, no coolant smell), so maybe my prayers were answered. Am taking it in for a second opinion. The body has only minor spots of rust (need to get the pics uploaded) and the wheel wells are spotless. There is some body damage, but overall it looks good. I was quoted $700 for a new exhaust system (including catylitic converter), new lights will be about $300 (wait for the pics), but my biggest concern is the cost of straightening out the electrical problems, including the heater/blower, which will be crucial this winter (ever had windows frost up from the inside? not good) and my current overheating issues. If the head and/or gasket are good, then I'm probably going to keep it.

I do love to tinker, and did a head replacement once before, so I wouldn't mind, but the potential costs of the electrical issues make me wonder.

Buckthedog, thanks for the two cents; put it in my piggy bank.

Last edited by David-Omaha; 08-14-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Wink

Sofar, I've got the same "illness".

Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to join this forum:
http://nestreetscene.com/

The Lincoln equivalent:
http://starcityracing.com/Forums/index.php

NO OEM exhaust system should cost you $700. Some of the guys on that forum are really great and will help you out. I had a quote from a guy in Wahoo of $400 for my performance exhaust on my S40. that was 2.5" piping from the cat - back.

I'm serious, take the car to European Auto, they know what's up.

I've heard good things about this shop as well:
http://www.cordelforeignmotors.com/

Also, a lot of Volvo owners swear by the Buchanan's BP in Dundee on Dodge as well.

Last edited by Lyonsroar; 08-14-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car overheated. It could be the head is now warped. If you can, do a compression test or let the second mechanic do it.

You are still leaking coolant somewhere, but you need to try and pin point the spot. Find some time to get a closer look.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Cool Leak

TIPSP: I appears that the leak is coming from the water pump, just haven't had time to take off the skid plate and take a better look.

Lyonsroar: thanks for the links, checking them out now. Great to know that there can be lower prices for the exhaust, 'cause it's really embarassing

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Thumbs down

Well I just got it back from the mechanic, and the car is toast. The head gasket is definitely blown, but now the transmission shrieks when I put it into park just now, put it neutral and the same thing. Windows won't roll up. It's not worth any amount of work that I could put into it.

Thank you all for your encoragement and advice, but its dying fast, and it best put out to pasture.

Anyone want what's left?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by David-Omaha
Well I just got it back from the mechanic, and the car is toast. The head gasket is definitely blown, but now the transmission shrieks when I put it into park just now, put it neutral and the same thing. Windows won't roll up. It's not worth any amount of work that I could put into it.

Thank you all for your encoragement and advice, but its dying fast, and it best put out to pasture.

Anyone want what's left?
That's too bad. Those dang AT will get you every time.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David-Omaha

Anyone want what's left?

Which mechanic did you take it too?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 PM

European Motors. He looked it over real good and determined that the engine may not be salvageable.