Update on the TURBO, from many many months ago.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on the TURBO, from many many months ago.

I cant find the old threads, but here it is..

My dad found an ad for a Volvo 740 for like 250 bucks..
We went to look at it, and it was a 1990 Black , 740 Turbo.

It has just over 150,000 miles on it.
The problem was the interior was thrashed, the paint was shot, nothing worked, and it leaked/smoked oil so bad it was undriveable.

Im not sure where I stopped updating in the old thread, so Ill start from the beginning.

Found the smoking/leaking issue to be that the owner had not changed the oil in years, and the turbo line clogged up, it ate the bearings out, and the shaft broke in 2.
We replaced the blown turbo with a remnaufacutred Garret water cooled unit, it bolted on, we cleaned the lines out, tested oil flow, and found it to be fine. Hooked it up, and the beast ran like new. Changed the oil out, power washed the engine, and found it to be like new.!

We pulled the interior apart, including the broken sunroof. Found a used one in Canada, and had it shipped down here (700 bucks) and it went in great, and works excellent. Had the front seats, back seats recovered with the Burgundy leather, and ordered used front door panels. Got it all in.. And it looks nice. Got a new shifter curround, new console, dash cover..

My dad then masked the car off for paint..then we hit a snag..

Too expensive to take it to a shop and have painted, considering this was uspposed to be a fixup/sell job. And the weather was far too humid to paint it here..We waited for cool weather, and when it came, so did the bugs. He got it partially primed and sanded. Tapped out and filled a couple dings in the hood..but we never could get it painted

Realization kicked in that the car needed more work than we could get out of it, so we stopped working on it, and drove it around back and there it has sat. I still crank it every few weeks. My dad found work at a local specialty care facility for Physically and mentally disabled children, so the 740 is on the back burner,,

When we do get it painted, get a new windsheild, and all the lenses replaced, Ill probably end up buying it as my second car, as the Vette is just not practical as a daily Driver. I love the Turbo, it always cranks up, and the couple times we did drive it down the road it felt good.

Great power, and little lag. THe turbo gauge goes UP/DOWN when the car is off, and over to about 10:00 at idle, and up to the yellow upon acceleration, is this normal?

The SES light comes on for a while then goes off, not sure what that is all about, but the car idles and runs fine. The gauges seem to work okay. Radio works, but the display isnt working.

A/C compressor is seized up, but all the stuff is there. Ill likely find a good used one and bolt it on. Ive got the Vacuum pump and the Chargers for R12 and R134A.

Hopefully we can get underway on getting it done, it really is a nice car!

Tommy-