Sprak plug wire loom / holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sprak plug wire loom / holder

So I got the IPD performance wires for my car. They look nice. They seem to work nice too. But they are a bit longer and flex a little more because of it, so the stock wire looms don't really hold them up and away from the engine. I want to get a good wire loom that I can mount the wires on so they stay away from the engine and don't chaff themselves or the valve cover. So please post how you solved this problem and what type of stuff you used. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sprak plug wire loom / holder Dear Titan Joe: Keeping wires safe and not rubbing in a moving vehicle is always a problem wires just by moving a bit break down the conductor itself. Heat is a problem around the engine. What I have in my 240GL is a B230F engine. I have stock spark plug wires by Volvo and the stock bracket with nylon spark plug wire clip. I added another nylon clip to hold the wire off the valve cover and cannot do more than this as the wires are too short. You might have to go to a after market shop that sells dress up and stock car parts and get a sparkplug bracket that you would mount most likely to your valve cover but be prepared to custom fit it. A technique used a lot in older aircraft called lacing. I used a waxed string to lash the wires in place if you get a chance to see inside an old aircraft you will see that the wires are lashed together in a wiring harness, or tied to spot. Another old technique is to have a metal clip with a rubber center that supports the wiring. I doubt if you have the capabilities to do the later. The plastic cable tie works but some do not last that long. I would not get too worried about a little slack in ignition wires as my older GM – Pontiac has had lots of slack in the spark plug wiring for ages. And the same goes for my GM –Suburban truck I just keep the wires from getting cooked by engine heat.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's what I got. It works, but it hold the wires really high up. But they shouldn't chaff. I got them at O'Reiley for about 15 and bent them how I wanted them. I may shorten them in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Sprak plug wire loom / holder-w1.jpg   Sprak plug wire loom / holder-w2.jpg