Strangest Electrical Problem I've Seen

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Strangest Electrical Problem I've Seen

Everyones's heard of wires chaffing, grounding out and causing shorts. But have you ever heard of wires chaffing and picking up voltage? That's what seems to be happening on my '93 940. I can't explain it otherwise. My power mirrors worked fine until a week ago, then I notice that the right side(passenger) mirror worked fine in 3 directions but the 4th caused fuse no. 14 to blow every time. My first thought was a bad directional switch. I had some spares but it didn't seem to matter. Even swapped the driver's side switch and the fuse still blew. So I checked both switches for power, with the key on, to the orange hot wire and they checked out ok. Also the black ground wires we're ok. Then I checked the blue/white, brown/white and green/white wires on the driver's mirror and they had power when the switch was moved in their direction, as they should, and we're off when the switch was centered or neutral. The right side mirror was a different story. The blue/white and brown white wires behaved as the other side did but the green/white had power even when the switch was centered. Again I thought the directional switch was touching the orange and green/white wires together and supplying voltage. So I disconnected all 5 wires from the switch and the mirror. They were hanging in limbo. With the key on the orange wire had power but so did the green/white. All I can think of was somewhere along the 5 ft of travel from left door to right door not only did the green/white wire chaff but so did a hot wire and they touched. I think I'd have better odds of hitting the lotto than that happening. So that brings me back to fuse no. 14. I tired to get the fuse panel off and look behind it but I couldn't. And then I thought - that green/white wire shouldn't be anywhere near that fuse. All the wiring diagrams I've looked at show it as a direct connection from the switch to the mirror. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Does anyone have access to genuine Volvo wiring diagrams. I'm getting my info off of Mitchell's and they're wrong.
Volvo Wiring Diagrams
I have color changes on a couple of wires, between leaving the switch and connecting to the mirror, and they don't even show it.
UPDATE: no color change, they're separate wires for the defogging function and come from the same switch for the rear window. But I still have a wire that should not have power but does. And it's coming from the fuse no. 14 circuit. Maybe a hot wire nearby over heated and melted, fused the 2 together?

Last edited by Moetheshmoe; 02-21-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Problem solved, I think. Looks like a connector from an aftermarket remote door lock chaffed the wire and was feeding it voltage. When I separated the two everything worked ok.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe
Problem solved, I think. Looks like a connector from an aftermarket remote door lock chaffed the wire and was feeding it voltage. When I separated the two everything worked ok.
2nd UPDATE: it wasn't the remote lock. It was the "classic" wire bundle coming out of the door and going into the body, bending and flexing a zillion times. It had to crack the insulation on the orange hot wire and the grn/wht and then they we're squeezed together. Rather than tear it apart I just cut the grn/wht in the door and under the dash. Then spliced in a jumper wire. Everything works now. It's still the oddest thing to pick up voltage that way.