Timing Belt marks..crank sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt marks..crank sprocket

Putting my reworked cylinder head back on today.

Regarding the crank timing:

I set the piston at TDC exactly, when the head was off. Now it doesn't line up with the index marks I painted before I took everything apart.

All the info I see in the Brickboard FAQs regarding crank position at TDC seems kind of vague. If I line up the manufacturers' index mark on the new belt it is about 20 degrees off of where my mark was.

Is TDC supposted to put the notch in the belt guide at the rib on the front seal housing? That would put it at the 11 o'clock position.

But then, the manufacturers' mark is one tooth off. If I put the harmonic balancer back on, it's 20 degrees retarded. By that method the mark on the belt wants to be at the 10 O'Clock position.

Lucky this is not an interference engine...

Atwell (kinda cranky) Haines
Befuddled in NJ
Half a 94 Volvo with a '90 engine.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Timing Belt marks..crank sprocket

This is how I do it.Get the crank marks lined up.Then start with the 2 lines on the belt put it in the crank.Then put around the bottom of the pulley.Then go to the Balance shaft.Then you will need to let go of where the 2 marks are on the crank pulley to line it up.Then you can put it on the cam.Make sure all play is on the tensioner side.

The marks on the belt are not going to line up with all marks.

As long as you have all the pulleys lined up it doesn't matter where the marks on the belt are.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

This is how I do it.Get the crank marks lined up.
OK this is where I got confused... lined up to what? The notch in the belt guide to the bump on the seal housing (11 oclock)?

Then start with the 2 lines on the belt put it in the crank.Then put around the bottom of the pulley.Then go to the Balance shaft.Then you will need to let go of where the 2 marks are on the crank pulley to line it up.Then you can put it on the cam.Make sure all play is on the tensioner side.
Done. Then I turned the crank 2 full turns. The cam & aux marks still line up to the rear cover marks (but not the belt's lines)

The marks on the belt are not going to line up with all marks.

As long as you have all the pulleys lined up it doesn't matter where the marks on the belt are.
That's a relief.

I found a broken spark plug so it will be tomorrow before I start the engine.

till then

Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Carbuff

This is how I do it.Get the crank marks lined up.
OK this is where I got confused... lined up to what? The notch in the belt guide to the bump on the seal housing (11 oclock)?

Im not looking at one right now but the mark on the washer should line up with the mark at either 11 or 12 o'clock

Old 08-22-2005, 09:42 PM

So, last night the engine started right up. No head gasket leakage. Whew!

But it wasn't running very well. Let it warm up to check for leaks but didn't take it out of the driveway.

This morning, wouldn't start. Had fuel. The tach jumped a little when cranking.

So, I set the engine back to TDC on #1, and jumped the crank gear one tooth, advanced.

The engine starts right away now. But it has a small "lope" it didn't have before...and a slight stumble coming off idle.

Think I should go one more tooth advanced? (I know quite well that each tooth on the timing belt is 18 to 20 degrees)

Waiting...

Old 08-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Did the marks line up exactly?

Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Did the marks line up exactly?
That's been my dilemma all along.

The marks on the cam & aux gears are lined up at TDC. I had a hard time knowing WHERE to line up the crank. My first attempt, the timing mark on the outside of the pullies was spot on.

Second attempt, I aligned the notch in the crank with the rib on the seal housing (11 oclock position) but the timing mark on the pulley was way past the TDC mark on the cover.

(I'm wondering if the harmonic balancer has slipped in the past? The rubber looks old. I marked the inner & outer sections of the balancer but they haven't moved on me.)

If I get an answer by Noon Tuesday I'll act on whatever is said...after that I'm leaving on vacation for a week (taking a different car).

Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Never mind, played with the timing myself. My second way was the best.

Also checked for intake leaks by spraying all the seams with intake cleaner (none)

Now with more miles on it it seems to be working better, the lope is gone for the most part. Time will tell.

Atwell "getting ready to bug out of town" Haines

Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Administrator

You need to line the mark up on the washer that goes on the outside of the pulley to the mark on the engine.DONT use the balancer to line it up.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:40 PM

You need to line the mark up on the washer that goes on the outside of the pulley to the mark on the engine.DONT use the balancer to line it up.
And, that's where it sits now!

Shouldn't the scribe line on the balancer line up to the TDC mark on the lower cover, though? I never looked at it beforehand (since the ECU controls timing, why bother?)

I just think my harmonic balancer is starting to slip. Next time I do a timing belt, it's outta there.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Thats my point if the balancer slipped then the timing will be way off depending on how much the pulley spun.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 AM

Hey there new at this forum and from sweden nontheless..

i just wanted to tip u that the only sure way to align the crank is that the notch in the crank should always point up towards the center of the camgear bolt. ill post a picture for u to see the exakt alignment marks for all pulleys.. these are the same for every 8valve four cylinder engine in the 2-7-900 series of volvos ( sry if i misspell alot)

/TISA

Edit: posting pic as a link due to big size. -----> http://upload.hacked.free-bsd.org/TI...elt8vB230F.jpg

Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 PM

please upload a ful diagram of the timing marks for a volvo s40 t4

im having a problem to find the marks at the bottom

Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com for free guide to replace timing belt. Has alignment marks in there.