Transmission Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Mount Replacement

Below is a step by step on how to replace a 940 transmission mount. The job is fairly simple and should take roughly one hour depending on your access to tools, experience, rust, etc. I am not a mechanic but I know enough about vehicles to complete this task. Keep that in mind as you consider whether or not to do this yourself because once again, it's not difficult. If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions please share them. As always, it's a good idea to use PB Blaster or an anti-rusting agent prior to any work, letting it sit for 24 hours if possible.

Note: This method may apply or be very similar to 240/740/850 models as well but I'm not positive. Be sure to inspect your vehicle's setup before progressing.

You will need:

1. Ramps
2. Pump Jack with a 2x4 piece of wood
3. Flex Head Ratchet
4. 12mm, 14mm and 15mm sockets
5. PB Blaster or other anti-rust agent
6. White Lithium/Shop grease
7. New transmission mount which can be found here

To begin, back up your vehicle onto ramps so that it is properly raised. Next, jack underneath the middle of the transmission drain pan with the piece of wood seated between the jack and transmission pan horizontally across the transmission. As you do this, be careful not to jack the transmission too much. Do not be afraid if the transmission raises slightly, in fact this is necessary to make sure the jack is bearing the weight. However, be advised not to excessively jack the tranny or major damage could occur.

Once your transmission is properly jacked locate the rear crossmember of the vehicle. This will be a metal bar seated horizontally at the rearmost of the transmission pan. It will have a circular hole located in the center facing the ground. However on top you will find two 12mm bolts holding your mount to the crossmember. You can attempt to remove these now, or wait (as I did) until the crossmember is removed from your vehicle. Locate and remove the four 14mm flange bolts holding the crossmember to the chasis. The driver's side bolts should be a breeze. However the flex head will be necessary to remove the passenger side bolts as they are set at an angle towards the middle of the vehicle and the exhaust piping is extremely close.

With the bolts removed the crossmember will sitting on a 15mm flange nut located in the circular hole of the crossmember discussed earlier. It's not light, but as your unscrew the flange nut you will be able to support it with one arm. Once the crossmember is removed from the vehicle, remove the old mount and replace. Note that it will be a tight fit, but give a little push and the new mount will seat nicely into the crossmember. To complete the job, simply reinstall the crossmember to the vehicle starting with the center nut remembering to grease all nuts and bolts. I actually replaced them at a local hardware store and this is recommended.

Pictures are provided below to help with the process. Good luck!

1. Properly jacked transmission

2. Crossmember

3. Vehicle with crossmember removed

4. Crossmember with removed mount, bolts, etc. with required tools

5. Crossmember reinstalled onto the vehicle