Tying to solve 1982 245 with super high idle and found a bunch of weird 'fixes'

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tying to solve 1982 245 with super high idle and found a bunch of weird 'fixes'

Hello:

So my 1982 245 has a very high idle -- especially in park/neutral -- and I've been trying to solve it.

While attempting to fine the idle adjustment screw I discovered what appears to be some very rigged solutions to past problems. I purchased the car from a woman who had a Volvo mechanic basically hobble it together out of two parts cars and I'm slowly discovering more and more interesting fixes to solutions. I'm a very very amateur mechanic so bear with me here.

I'm wondering what this 'fix' is:

As you can see its right below the intake manifold. From what I can discern from the manual I have it seems like this should be where the idle adjustment screw/etc is? I'm assuming this being weirdly zip tied etc might have something to do with my high idle as it seems like this would change air flow/etc.

ALSO:

Off of the air flow sensor I discovered this hose coming off the front with a screw in it -- I'm assuming to 'seal' it... what is there? Where should it be going?

ANY advice/ideas would be amazing. I recently moved across the country (to Philadelphia) so I don't have the wealth of resources I had in Portland to have somebody just take a look at it when things are over my head.

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Do you have heat? The hose looks like bypassed heater hose... The bolt, not sure; '82 is not that familiar to me.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

that bolt looks like its on a vacuum fitting on the throttle body?

sadly, few people are familiar with the early CIS-E 240's anymore, I think 82 was the last year for them.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by lev
Do you have heat? The hose looks like bypassed heater hose... The bolt, not sure; '82 is not that familiar to me.
Yeah. I have heat and that functions fantastically. The heat of a 1000 suns.

Originally Posted by pierce
that bolt looks like its on a vacuum fitting on the throttle body?
sadly, few people are familiar with the early CIS-E 240's anymore, I think 82 was the last year for them.
Yeah. The bolt seems to have been used to 'plug' a vacuum fitting. I'm wondering if the terrible streets and potholes of Philadelphia loosened that 'fix' and now that is leaking air -- whereas before the bolt plugged it. When I investigated it I found a bunch of mauled rubber from where the bolt meets the hose. Maybe when they first put it in there it ate up some of the rubber and formed a good seal.

I just moved from Portland which is full of Volvo mechanics and people who knew the older engines, but I don't have that resource any more.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:50 PM

So did some digging and found this:

Which seems to line up perfectly with the hose with the zip tie on it. Any ideas about that?

At the front of the bottom of the air flow sensor appears to be the hose that is plugged with a bolt. Any idea what that is? I can't find any information in this manual to tell me what that part actually is.

And:

I'm still not finding this idle adjustment -- I'm really confused by that.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to do some more digging and see if the CO screw exists.

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-26-2019, 03:00 AM
no mo volvo

yours is a 82? thats the very last year of the CIS volvos were uS imports, as far as I understand.

I believe there are two versions, one has the aux valve you show above, thats turned on to boost things when the engine is cold, and then shuts off, using a thermoswitch timer. there is no idle regulation like there is on later cars.

the other version has a fancier idle air regulator in place of that aux air valve, these do a better job of idle control. i would expect a US model 82 to come with this setup.

yours apparently has been hacked, and by bending the tube over, its effectively closed off.

there used to be a website, k-jet, which was full of documentation and how-to's on these early volvos, but its been let go and is lost wherever dead websites end up. I don't think the archive.net site has much of the useful content

Old 01-26-2019, 05:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try posting on the turbobricks forum. Some of them fellas are quite knowledgeable of the early 240's and such.

http://turbobricks.com

Last edited by dytha99; 01-26-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I think the best source would be a Volvo Green book... I have to go through my collection to see if I have the right one, I rarely if ever look at those anymore...

Old 01-26-2019, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by lev
I think the best source would be a Volvo Green book... I have to go through my collection to see if I have the right one, I rarely if ever look at those anymore...
Thanks. I've been going over the ones I have access to -- thats what some of those screen shots in my last post are from.

My major two questions at this point are:
1. what is that hose with the bolt attached to the air flow sensor/throttle supposed to be for?
2. where is the idle adjustment?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 PM
no mo volvo

the idle adjustment is that **** where the arrow is pointing on your last picture, under the front corner of the intake manifold.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 PM

the idle adjustment is that **** where the arrow is pointing on your last picture, under the front corner of the intake manifold.
I'm not seeing anything there where it should be according to that diagram.
If that were the case wouldn't it be visible in this picture?

And I mean that as a serious question -- because I'm honestly a little confused. Things aren't lining up 100% with anything I'm finding.
The top of that photo is the intake manifold.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM
no mo volvo

whats that on the far right edge of the photo just under the manifold box ?

I'm wondering if that bent/pinched hose *is* your idle air, which should have been connected to the air aux valve AND the idle adjustment valve, such that the two of them let air bypass the throttle body....

Old 01-27-2019, 08:43 PM

I'm wondering if that bent/pinched hose *is* your idle air, which should have been connected to the air aux valve AND the idle adjustment valve, such that the two of them let air bypass the throttle body....

That is exactly what I was wondering.
Tomorrow I'm going to do some digging and see what that is on the far right - but that bent replacement hose seems like it should be the idle and aux air valve... I'm gonna do some more poking around.

Glad that my take on the situation seems right to somebody with much much much more experience than I.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Thats the post where the throttle cable/etc is eventually connected to.

So I'm nearly 100% sure that the entire system is bypassed. I'm going to do some poking around to see if I can devise a way to test this further.

But I have a question as it was brought up by a friend who isn't this era Volvo knowledgable but -- should there be a mass air flow sensor in line after the filter? Or is all of that functionality being done in the air sensor/etc that is under the throttle body/etc?

Trying to solve a LOT of questions created by the rigging the previous owner did/etc.

Thanks for assisting me on this.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 PM
no mo volvo

MAF/AMM (mass air flow / air mass meter) are used on LH systems, starting circa 1983. You have a CIS system aka KE-Jetronics, where the fuel is metered hydro-mechanically by an airflow plate via a fuel distributor, and the injectors spray continuously. 82 was the last year for Volvo for CIS, VW used them til circa 1989 on some models, Mercedes until 1992.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 PM

MAF/AMM (mass air flow / air mass meter) are used on LH systems, starting circa 1983. You have a CIS system aka KE-Jetronics, where the fuel is metered hydro-mechanically by an airflow plate via a fuel distributor, and the injectors spray continuously. 82 was the last year for Volvo for CIS, VW used them til circa 1989 on some models, Mercedes until 1992.
Thanks. Thats what I THOUGHT but y'know as a newbie I just wanted to double check -- the classic 'check with an expert to make sure you are correct'.