Upgrading struts/shocks

Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading struts/shocks

I was having a conversation with a buddy who is due for replacement of front struts/rear shocks on his 240 (I've got the same car, also near due). He was checking out IPD and saw the Bilstein Touring and Sport shocks, and mentioned to a car-savvy friend of his that he was thinking of upgrading, and the car-savvy friend recommended not upgrading beyond stock. Said that the stock suspension was designed the way it is for a reason, and upgrading the shocks would most likely lead down a rabbit hole of having to continuing upgrading all of the other parts of the suspension system to get the ride you really want, and suddenly your looking at a multi-thousand dollar suspension endeavor.

He also said there is a good chance you might not like the way the car rides with the more expensive and upgraded suspension.

Now, this guy's background is with fast porsche's, not Volvo bricks. So, any validity to his claims? What is your experience with upgrading to the higher priced shocks/struts on your 240? If you're going to upgrade the front struts and sway bar, is it necessary to upgrade the rear shocks to the more expensive ones as well?

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

shocks/struts should be matched to springs. a stiffer spring calls for a stiffer shock to offset it.

I put bilstein touring shocks and IPD swaybars on my stock springed 740T wagon, also 16" Hydra wheels with 205/55-16 tires... when I'm riding relatively light (1-2 up, minimal luggage) the ride is annoyingly harsh on the crappy roads around here. When I'm heavily loaded for a road trip, its quite decent. the car definitely handles better on hard turns and such, not nearly as much lean, totally tight control and grip.

now, I don't know how much of the harsh is from the /55 tires vs how much from the heavy sway bars vs the shocks. but I'm sort of wishing I'd stuck with boge/sachs stock shocks.

I spend quite a lot of time driving on gnarly back roads, and not main highways, its just the way I am.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 PM

tell him best bang for buck will be redoing all the bushings. Then maybe trubo swaybars. THEN shocks/struts.

The ghetto way to do it is sways FIRST on blown out suspension! because sways dont wear! ha

Old 06-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Mind if I step in

Originally Posted by pierce
shocks/struts should be matched to springs. a stiffer spring calls for a stiffer shock to offset it.

I put bilstein touring shocks and IPD swaybars on my stock springed 740T wagon, also 16" Hydra wheels with 205/55-16 tires... when I'm riding relatively light (1-2 up, minimal luggage) the ride is annoyingly harsh on the crappy roads around here. When I'm heavily loaded for a road trip, its quite decent. the car definitely handles better on hard turns and such, not nearly as much lean, totally tight control and grip.

now, I don't know how much of the harsh is from the /55 tires vs how much from the heavy sway bars vs the shocks. but I'm sort of wishing I'd stuck with boge/sachs stock shocks.

I spend quite a lot of time driving on gnarly back roads, and not main highways, its just the way I am.

This poses an interesting question(to me). The 740/940 turbos had gas shocks, if I'm correct. And I see that IPD does not sell a stock replacement gas shock only the stock oil shock for non turbos. Do you know a good source for a stock gas shock and how is the stiffness compared to a Bilstein Touring shock? And can a stock gas shock be used with lowered springs? And finally, isn't it the bushings that have more influence on ride comfort? Thanks

Old 06-13-2015, 11:12 AM
no mo volvo

I used volvo rubber bushings almost everywhere. the car had lots of clunks and rumbles before hand, and now is as tight as a new car.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock or touring shocks will fail with lowering springs 100%. Might get a few thousand miles.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Even the Bilsteins? I thought they were designed for shorter springs?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Default Dilema

I used volvo rubber bushings almost everywhere. the car had lots of clunks and rumbles before hand, and now is as tight as a new car.

I guess that's the age old dilemma: How to make your car handle like a Lotus but ride like a Jaguar.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:01 PM
no mo volvo

IPD lowering springs are well matched to Bilstein HD shocks.

I *thought* the stock 740 turbo struts were Boge ProGas or equivalent. these are milder than Boge TurboGas, but are adaptive, drive mellow and they are mellow, drive harder, and they stiffen up a bit. I used these on a jetta after having tried a bunch of other shocks, they lasted the remaining 100k miles I had that car and were still riding as good as they did new.

Boge's brand/model names have changed, ProGas and TurboGas are the old names circa early 90s, I am not sure what the current equivalent is.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe
Even the Bilsteins? I thought they were designed for shorter springs?
Bilstein sport, yes. Bilstein touring, no.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:43 PM

ok good to know.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Default ?

IPD lowering springs are well matched to Bilstein HD shocks.

I *thought* the stock 740 turbo struts were Boge ProGas or equivalent. these are milder than Boge TurboGas, but are adaptive, drive mellow and they are mellow, drive harder, and they stiffen up a bit. I used these on a jetta after having tried a bunch of other shocks, they lasted the remaining 100k miles I had that car and were still riding as good as they did new.

Boge's brand/model names have changed, ProGas and TurboGas are the old names circa early 90s, I am not sure what the current equivalent is.

Do you know if the Boge ProGas will work with shorter springs?

Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 PM
no mo volvo

No, pretty sure they won't. I did some more looking around. Progas are now called Automatic, and are for normal springs only.

The Boge Turbo shocks would be suitable for shorter springs, or as I said, Bilstein Sport or HD.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 PM

ok thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 PM

Bilstein HDs are not matched to the Ipd lowering springs especially on 240s. Will the car ride fine? Depends on the driver. Bilstein HDs are for stock height cars. If you want a lowered car, it is recommended to have them re-valved for the lowering springs. You can call Bilstein and discuss your re-valving options. This route is not cheap though. Don't forget to the replace the strut mounts, use Volvo blue label strut mounts only. I would also recommend purchasing upper strut reinforcement plates for 240 models. Ipd carries them but they are not high quality. A member from turbobricks.com sells a pair of plates for $45 shipped, here is the link.

Turbobricks Forums

You must sign up to view the for sale posting.