Valve job or not? what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve job or not? what would you do?

If you've seen the posts on my adventure, you know I'm replacing the head on the 1993 240 wagon.

I actually got around to unwrapping the new head. It looks pretty good, just missing a couple studs.

I am debating if I want to take it as is and just assume everything is right with the valves and such or do I take the time to do a valve job? There is no rush to get the thing back together, but the sooner the better I have a Benz project waiting in the wings (and in my side yard much to my neighbors dirty looks).

Also, thinking about taking the old camshaft and switching it over to the new head. I did get a bonus camshaft sprocket and new oil seal with the new head, woo hoo!

Valve job or not?  what would you do?-photo-15-.jpg

So what do you think?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would. You can lap them in yourself to make a good seal, but you've got it a part now. You can get the head checked for warpage and decked, plus the valves and you'd be good for another 300k miles.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 AM

It just looks as if they cleaned it and thats it...but can't tell just by eyesight of course. Hey, I have done two swaps like yours and both heads came from a junk yard and usually went for the crashed Volvo's as I know they, at least, were functioning.

the first one I just swapped the camshaft and valve cover...went terrible... it sounded like a dozen tap dancers inside the hood...

the second one I just left everything except the valve cover(had to pay more) but worked out just fine.
How much did you pay for it? Delivered? I get charged about 150 to do a valve job here in Cal

Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM

The head itself I got on eBay for $200 shipped from WVA. It is reconditioned and the mating surface is within tolerances so i don't have to get it worked on.

The cam shaft looks alright (I'm sure it's been sitting while) but I was planning on using the old one. I'm not totally sure of what I should be looking at as far as the valves are concerned but I figure while its out and already disassembled I might as well redo all the valves just so I don't get that tap dancer thing going. I can cannibalize the old one which only had a light tapping noise before I pulled it.

It would be my first valve job but with books and the internet I've been able to get this far LOL. I'm trying to get it done by the end of the month before a month long work project takes up more of the free time I barely have.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lapping the valves has no bearing on valve train noise. Shimming the cam to specs AND installing new valve hushers is what quiets the motor. If time is no issue and you wish to learn, by all means have at it. For goodness sake keep an eye on the valve keepers. They are small and the lack of just one can put the entire job on hold.