Volvo 93 940 No start to no crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 93 940 No start to no crank

Whats up guys? Been reading your stuff for a long time but finally needed some help myself. I drive a 93 940 wagon, non turbo (198K miles). The main issue I am having is a no crank. Car is in park or neutral and I get nothing. Ill go over my chain of events that led up to this.

About 2 months ago, my fuel pump went out. I replaced the pump, fuse and the relay and the fuel pump sounds every time. No issues with the fuel system at that point.

A few weeks later, I left my house from a cold start and it sputtered leaving the neighborhood and died on my main road. I shifted to neutral and it started right back up, I turned around and came straight home. The car idled in my driveway for 10 or so minutes before I tried another drive staying in my neighborhood, It had 0 issues so once again left my house (headed to visit my mom about 30 minutes away). Almost there, the RPMs dropped again and I just gave it more gas and it stayed running. a couple hours later, I went to start my car and I was getting a no start symptom. It was cranking at this point. I had tried a few different things and can guarantee that the fuel pump was (and still is) running. I was getting no spark. Through a few different things I was reading... If you crank the engine and the tachometer doesn't move, it could be the crankshaft position sensor. I watched a few videos and the Crank sensor was getting power. The continuity check with the 3rd wire (should be ground?) didn't have continuity with ground. I attached a jumper ground to the sensor and wired everything up to run as if it was still plugged in but with an actual ground. With my next check and the car in the same position, I now had a no crank symptom. I hooked everything back up and again, no crank. I assumed that all my attempts burned my poor old starter out. I removed and replaced my starter. I cant guarantee the old starter was bad because I think I tested it wrong (whoops) but even with a new starter, I am getting no crank.

New fuel pump, relay and fuse. Randomly developed no start. Developed no crank. New starter. Still no crank. Any ideas?

Edit: My next check was going to be neutral safety switch.

Some preexisting issues with the car. Excuse my "I dont know what this is called" terms.
Gear shift button on shift **** wont depress and sometimes gets stuck in position to where car can be shifted without key or brake depressed.
Also had issues where the button wouldnt press in.
Needs work done on the shift link. Should have a bushing or something on the connection.
Ignition has had some issues in the last year. Has stuck in the start position and didn't spring back into run.

Last edited by 93.940; 10-03-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 590 Likes on 556 Posts

Have you tested your "new" starter by using a jumper wire or your $12 harbor freight remote starter switch to send power directly to the small terminal on the starter solenoid? And checked to make sure the NSS is lined up correctly when in park and neutral, white pointer is hooked onto the shifter and aligns in park and neutral with two areas illustrated by the green arrows. (2 screws remove the shifter cover)

Old 10-04-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Have you tested your "new" starter by using a jumper wire or your $12 harbor freight remote starter switch to send power directly to the small terminal on the starter solenoid? And checked to make sure the NSS is lined up correctly when in park and neutral, white pointer is hooked onto the shifter and aligns in park and neutral with two areas illustrated by the green arrows. (2 screws remove the shifter cover)

As far as I can tell, it appears that its lining up correctly. I jumped the starter on the car and it cranked.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Received 590 Likes on 556 Posts

So - to recap - your problem is you turn the key and the starter does not engage? ( and you have replaced a bunch of stuff that has not fixed your starter does not engage when I turn the key?)

Does the engine run after you manually make the starter work (with the key on of course)?

Last edited by hoonk; 10-04-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:37 PM

So i bought the jumper button you suggested and it cranked. Still no spark, so I ran some wires to fix the ground issue that I had noticed on the crank sensor before and it cranked, sparked then started and ran. Im assuming that this crank sensor and the NSS switch share a bad ground at some point. Agree? What would you think would be the easiest repair? I dont mind bypassing the NSS or even running this wire from the starter.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:00 AM

I’m having the same issues, where are the ground points