Well, I finally got one. Might have to change my name.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I finally got one. Might have to change my name.

I joined this forum about 2-3 months ago asking questions about 240s and today, I picked up an '87 240 DL and it's the color I had wanted, white with a blue interior. It needs brakes, possibly another automatic tranny from what the seller said, driver's side windshield wiper motor (?), and a thorough cleaning inside and out. The odemeter stopped at 245k so I don't know the true mileage. It was good deal for $160 and now I have another question. Will an automatic tranny from a 740 fit my car if I can't find one from a 240? I thought there was someone on here with a red one that did that, but I can't find the old thread. Also, is it common for the drivers side wiper to go haywire and get stuck ? Thaks in advance.

Last edited by none4me; 10-18-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new (2U) ride!

First things first, GET A MANUAL, at the very least it will get you in the ball park for repairs and maintenance. Also these forums for Volvo's are priceless, chances are someone has been there, done that and got the busted knuckles to show for it.

I don't know about the transmissions, but there is only one wiper motor, it may be repairable. A common problem is the magnets on the inside of the motor become come unglued and bind the motor, you disassemble the motor and epoxy them back in place. If you replace the motor with an aftermarket, mine came with a external ground strap, you must use it or the motor won't run. It is not a bad job, removal of the glove box will lead you to the motor.

Brakes, and rotors are pretty easy. I would change the master cylinder at the same time I did the brake job unless it had been done recently.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM

By "get a manual" he means a Haynes repair manual, they are very useful, you can probably find one on eBay.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah, for a second I thought "manual" was a reference to swapping the tranny until I read further, ha ha. I'm so happy to have my own 240 after wanting one for so long. I think this is going to be a good experience.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Default 240

i'd get a Bentley manual over the Haynes- Haynes tends to simplify a lot of stuff... Dave

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM

On another note, will it do any damage if I spray the engine bay with a hose or have it steam cleaned? There is dirt and dust all over the place in there. I suspect that the car was in an area with a dirt road as there is caked on dirt all along the underside of the car as well as the suspension. My mechanic friend said we could use a pressure washer for that part though, will it be okay for the engine?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just cover the ignition things, like dist, coil...etc. Carefull when spraying the water. cover your intake.

I use Gunk heavy duty engine degreaser.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM

ditto the Bentley manual recommendation. Chilton's won't be of much help for you. Spend the extra $, you won't be sorry.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks, guys. While I don't yet have a Bentley manual, there was a Haynes in the trunk left fro me by the previous owner. My mechanic friend who towed the car back to our camp went for a ride with me and doesn't think it's the transmission, he thinks it might be the rear end because of the whining noise that seems to be coming from the back. We'll have to put it on the rack and check. I'll try to keep you posted. So far, I'm really happy with this car, the heater really works well and the car overall feels good and solid, but I haven't been able to drive it past 40 on these curvy camp roads so I don't know what it'll do at freeway speeds.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If it is a high-pitched whine coming from underneath, it may be the bearing in the center driveshaft mount. I've had to replace it on my '91 240 and my '90 is in current need of the same thing.

It's a pretty cheap and easy fix. I would replace the rubber mount that it sits in as well since most likely it is rotted by now. I think IPD sells a kit for ~$40 that includes the bearing, rubber mount and spring. Just make sure that you mark the front and rear driveshaft positions when you take it off so they go back the same since it is a balanced unit.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by act1292
If it is a high-pitched whine coming from underneath, it may be the bearing in the center driveshaft mount. I've had to replace it on my '91 240 and my '90 is in current need of the same thing.

It's a pretty cheap and easy fix. I would replace the rubber mount that it sits in as well since most likely it is rotted by now. I think IPD sells a kit for ~$40 that includes the bearing, rubber mount and spring. Just make sure that you mark the front and rear driveshaft positions when you take it off so they go back the same since it is a balanced unit.
Did the whine come on between 30-40 mph and then whenever you put your foot on the gas ? That's what mine is doing, as soon as I take my foot off, the whine stops or greatly decreases. We won't be able to determine what it is exactly until we address the lack of brakes issue.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Unfortunately no. The whine in my car comes and goes at will but is definitely related to vehicle speed rather than engine speed (I put it in neutral and kept rolling to check this).

Could be a bad bearing in the differential since it will be more dependent on load being applied. Sounds like your plan on putting up on a lift and checking it out is the best thing to do.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Well, my mechanic friend jacked up the back and checked it out and said the noise is definately from the rear end and said something about the bearing so the bottom line is, the car is going to need a new rear end (more like a working used one, lol.) We still need a rear brake line so it's going to just have to be done bit by bit as the funds allow.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 PM

On another note, I just took her for another spin on these back forest paved roads where i live, there's an incline before you get to the camp turnoff road and I gave her the gas to see what it could do... it got to about 40-45 and wouldn't go any faster even though I had me foot down all the way. Can these cars not do hills or is something amiss with mine? Makes me wonder what's in store trying to get on the freeway and maintaining speed ? When I first inquired about these cars, I was told that they hold there own with traffic, but I'll have to wait and see after we fix the brakes and rear end. What's your experience?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Should definitely do better than that. I have had mine up to 85-90 on the highway so I know they are capable of that. Certainly hills will slow them down but you still should be able to get it faster.

Many things could be keeping it from making speed. Perhaps the pros can jump in on this.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by none4me
On another note, I just took her for another spin on these back forest paved roads where i live, there's an incline before you get to the camp turnoff road and I gave her the gas to see what it could do... it got to about 40-45 and wouldn't go any faster even though I had me foot down all the way. Can these cars not do hills or is something amiss with mine? Makes me wonder what's in store trying to get on the freeway and maintaining speed ? When I first inquired about these cars, I was told that they hold there own with traffic, but I'll have to wait and see after we fix the brakes and rear end. What's your experience?
I once got mine up to 100 miles an hour while going uphill and the engine in my model has 23 less horsepower than yours. You got an automatic right? Does it downshift properly when you floor it?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 PM

It is an automatic and it seems to downshift when you punch it at least on the flatter roads. Maybe I should've taken my foot off the gas and punched it, but I may have already tried it at the time, I can't remember. I'll have to take it for another spin and try it again. Wow, I am smitten with this thing, I keep looking at it parked by the house and thinking how awesome to finally have one after all this time. They sure are classy looking in an understated sort of way.

Last edited by none4me; 10-24-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 AM

Welcome my fellow man...your quest begins...check out the history of Volvo's and you will appreciate them even more...

Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Default 240

I'd love to see a photo of your 160$ volvo... Dave

Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks Redbottle and Daver 80, I will try to put some pics up this week, I may need to get my stepson to help me upload the pics, I'm not all that computer saavy, lol. Camp director where I live and work noticed it right away and it turns out he has been wanting one for his daughter who'll be 16 in Jan. Of course I'll be all too happy to help him find one. Now I'm wanting another to go with this one, is that bad or what? I guess they're like potato chips, hard to have just one, :0) .

Last edited by none4me; 10-26-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Well, I finally got one. Might have to change my name.