what is this???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is this???

So the front half of my turbo on my 82 244 came loose. I went out and bought another used one from a guy on craigslist. When i put them side by side i noticed the manifold i got was the same but the turbo was different. The only difference is an threaded inlet on the sides of the turbo. My guess would be that i ended up buying a watercooled turbo. This is my first ever turbo car no i will admit that i am a newbie to turbos and only have a fair knowledge at best on Volvo's. Im learning as im fixing. So can anyone tell me if i am correct and if this turbo is actually better than the one i have on their now. Here is the pic of the inlet.

Attached Thumbnails what is this???-turbo.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 01:58 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Volvo has used a lot of different turbos over the years, but I've never seen/touched a 82 240T, so no idea what was on those.

this is the mitsubishi out of a 1991

that zigzag hose to pipe is water cooling, from the overflow bottle. there's also oil plumbing on these.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
Volvo has used a lot of different turbos over the years, but I've never seen/touched a 82 240T, so no idea what was on those.

this is the mitsubishi out of a 1991

that zigzag hose to pipe is water cooling, from the overflow bottle. there's also oil plumbing on these.
That on is also different then mine. Im not sure what year the one i bought came from but i know it was for a 240. The one one my volvo has the oil line but nothing else. Ill snap a pic of the one that is on mine when i got out for my next break at work. The turbo i bought has the same threaded inlet on both sides. Do you think it would be safe to assume that it is an inlet and outlet for water cooling. If so can i just put a T in my heater hoses for the water to run thru?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:02 PM
no mo volvo

one coolant hose goes to a T under the overflow/expansion bottle. the other one is a pipe that disappears under the front of the engine and I'm not sure where it goes, but I don't think it connects to the heater pipe.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:04 PM

one coolant hose goes to a T under the overflow/expansion bottle. the other one is a pipe that disappears under the front of the engine and I'm not sure where it goes, but I don't think it connects to the heater pipe.
hmmm. Yeah yours looks way different. ill grab some more pics in 30 mins

Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM
no mo volvo

well, mine is a 1992 740 turbo, b230ft engine with LH 2.4 EFI. the picture is from a 1991 7/9 which has slightly different plumbing but the same basic Mitsubishi TD05 turbo...

yours is probably some early Garrett turbo. hmm, interesting, 1982 B21FT in Vadis shows coolant plumbing to the turbo. It also shows like 4 different turbos but only identifies them with Volvo PN's.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM

well, mine is a 1992 740 turbo, b230ft engine with LH 2.4 EFI. the picture is from a 1991 7/9 which has slightly different plumbing but the same basic Mitsubishi TD05 turbo...

yours is probably some early Garrett turbo. hmm, interesting, 1982 B21FT in Vadis shows coolant plumbing to the turbo. It also shows like 4 different turbos but only identifies them with Volvo PN's.
I do kinda remember my gramps saying that he changed out the turbo when he put the intercooler in. Maybe he got a turbo with out the cooling stuff, but that wouldn't be like him though. Ill see if i can get any name or numbers off of my turbo i just bought also.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:23 PM
no mo volvo

more poking in vadis, apparently the water cooling was non-standard

Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM

So the one i bought is probably better then the one i have one there.

Also side note how do you like the IPD sway bars and lower brace on your wagon. Im looking to do my entire suspension with IPD parts

Old 12-28-2015, 03:52 PM

So the first pic is the turbo on my volvo. The next two are both of the inlets. and the last one is who i think makes the turbo airesearch??

Attached Thumbnails what is this???-turbo-volvo.jpg   what is this???-turbo1.jpg   what is this???-turbo2.jpg   what is this???-turbo3.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 PM
no mo volvo

AiResearch was Garrett.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:25 PM
no mo volvo

ah, https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...tification.htm

says water cooling started circa 1987, but also that most replacements are water cooled, and it would certainly help your turbo last longer to install water cooling.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM

AiResearch was Garrett.
LOL i figured that out when i googled it. I guess i should have done that. Do you know where to look for a rebuild kit for these turbos. I couldn't find anything on garret's website

Old 12-28-2015, 04:34 PM

ah, https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...tification.htm

says water cooling started circa 1987, but also that most replacements are water cooled, and it would certainly help your turbo last longer to install water cooling.
It looks like i have the garret t3. Well that gets me further than i was. So i dont have the little tubes or know where they would hook up since mine isn't water cooled. So do you think that it would work to just run the water lines from my heater hose? Im sure i can find a threaded tube to screw into the inlets like on a water pump for a chevy something like that. then put a T in both of the heater hoses and run rubber hose. Does that sound like it would work. Sounds good to me on paper

Old 12-28-2015, 04:37 PM
no mo volvo

anything screwed into the turbo body has to be high temp suitable. the stock fittings are banjo-heads with hollow bolts and fiber washers. guessing those threads will need to be re-tapped, too.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If there is no play, you don't need to rebuild if there is very very slight play, you don't need to rebuild.

The rebuilds are done at a professional shop. Needs to be rebalanced when the wheels are removed.

Good used turbos are like $100

Brand new garret turbos are $500.

Rebuild should be $100-200. depends where you go.

A guy on Turbobricks rebuilds them.

Adding water lines is not that an issue either. Fine someone the water lines or complete turbo. You will need the lower Rad hose. and expansion hose.

Last edited by TIPSP; 12-28-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:49 PM

anything screwed into the turbo body has to be high temp suitable. the stock fittings are banjo-heads with hollow bolts and fiber washers. guessing those threads will need to be re-tapped, too.
Originally Posted by TIPSP
If there is no play, you don't need to rebuild if there is very very slight play, you don't need to rebuild.

The rebuilds are done at a professional shop. Needs to be rebalanced when the wheels are removed.

Good used turbos are like $100

Brand new garret turbos are $500.

Rebuild should be $100-200. depends where you go.

A guy on Turbobricks rebuilds them.

Adding water lines is not that an issue either. Fine someone the water lines or complete turbo. You will need the lower Rad hose. and expansion hose.
Thanks guys. So then you are saying that rebuilding it at home should be out of the question? You dont think it would work to just put a T in the heater hose. Oh and yeah both of my turbo's have play.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:52 PM

The turbo volvo's are hard to find it seems in western wa. THey dont show up in the wrecking yard. Ill have to see if the guy i got it from has another car with the watercooled turbo and just buy the entire engine. Also do you know how buildable the b21 is or what would be a good swap. Once i get my engine into my 4runner my attention is going to the volvo engine.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM
no mo volvo

best engine swap would be a late model b230FT from a 94/95 940 turbo. that engine has oil squirters to lubricate the piston skirts, and a general bunch of improvements. you'll probably want to transplant the LH2.4 fuel injection to go with it.

if you're instead talking about beefing up your engine for more power, well, the biggest limitation will be the ke-jetronic injection, I don't know how much power above stock that can provide before you run out of fuel flow capacity. LH 2.4 can get you up to about 250HP before you need to start getting radical. of course, higher engine output == more abuse on the transmission, final drive, etc, but the systems volvo used are pretty rugged.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:29 PM

best engine swap would be a late model b230FT from a 94/95 940 turbo. that engine has oil squirters to lubricate the piston skirts, and a general bunch of improvements. you'll probably want to transplant the LH2.4 fuel injection to go with it.

if you're instead talking about beefing up your engine for more power, well, the biggest limitation will be the ke-jetronic injection, I don't know how much power above stock that can provide before you run out of fuel flow capacity. LH 2.4 can get you up to about 250HP before you need to start getting radical. of course, higher engine output == more abuse on the transmission, final drive, etc, but the systems volvo used are pretty rugged.
I read something about useing a supre transmission to handle the higher hp. Im trying to beef it up. I hate hondas so my goal is to crap on most of the hondas around my city with an old heavy volvo lol