Why are there NICKLES bolted to my 530 head?!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What...is THAT?! pics uploaded-never ever have I seen this in 15 redblocks

Uhh... anyone? It's a 530 cast block, dated 8/23/93 from my '94 940...
The headgasket went, I've got the engine in pieces, (obviously-gonna do some cosmetics...) But someone's got to know why these are here. My goggle fu came up zero. I'm posting on TurboBricks too... The hadgasket is a MESS. Looks like somone poured goop, "Barr's Stop Leak", or something, and it filled up oil holes.

Definitely has over a .04 thou gap middle of the block, slight "arch"but I'm surprised by the lack of damage from running it dry of coolant. But this baffles me. Also looks like some of the oil passages were JB welded close, maybe just one. I'll post some pics now I've got the right links, my phone can't pull it off. Even on the turbo 531 blocks these are solid castings, but look like something that COULD be drilled and tapped??? I don't know. Plus those mounting studs.

Gods I'm more curious than anything, also... The thing ran damn well before. I'm wondering what it's gonna be like when I fix all this crud/surface it, and redo a lot of stuff. All the guys on TurboBricks say porting/polish on the existing manifolds/intake etc. is pretty useless on N/A motors but I got a die grinder and a huge air compressor, plus it's already marked out with carbon for me...

Painting and cleaning as I go too... for git's and shiggles. Why not? I love these cars.

Goop... these passages should flow... many are partially blocked. One totally.

Last edited by drenman; 05-23-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: bad pic link
Old 05-23-2017, 01:07 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

those look like the ports for the "PulsAir" air injection system which was used on some late B230's, someone got creative and blocked them with nickles?? hah.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierce
those look like the ports for the "PulsAir" air injection system which was used on some late B230's, someone got creative and blocked them with nickles?? hah.
Yeah Pierce. The guys on TurboBricks cued me in as well, Volvo sells a plug for $7.00 but these are $6.95 cheaper and work.

What I THOUGH was JB weld in the ports, was actually Tig welding with more "GOOP" from the previous owner's "BAR'S" fix over the resurfacing job. It's a "Franken Car" but the wheels, and stereo where worth what I paid for it. Plus IPD parts all over it.

I'll do a valve job, and maybe.. MAYBE turbo it, although I'm going to resist the urge strongly and wait for a stock car to do it right and maybe not wait that long....
. I've got my eye on a local '94 940 Turbo, runs, leaks, but I could re-build it, and there's an '89 740 Turbo Int. w/a 16V DOHC top end in a box, a box o' go fast parts, plus what's ON an already fast, running turbo car, plus an aftermarket intercooler, not on it yet. THAT is the Jewel in the Crown waiting to happen. I can do the oil squirt modd, if it's needed.

Keep in mind brain damage wiped a lot of this, and doing it again, it "reconnects" to your memory, so I'm like "HEY. I REMEMBER THIS!!! I was sick for awhile again, so away from the forums, but another rare disesase is FUSING my spine by itself, which for most people would suck but for me is a "happy accident" cause I can't get, nor would I take surgery. So... I can do stuff I haven't done in 17 years. It's awesome. I still need 3-4 days recovery for every one spent wrenching, but hey. I'd be on the couch any way.

I'd call it a "win/win" but it more like a "win/this still kinda sucks" situation.
I got a fever....and the only cure, is more Swedish station wagons. Plus I get to not be broke as dirt soon.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Awesome!